1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

FFF....Let's talk turkey and stuff....ing....

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by GAMMA RAY, Nov 18, 2011.

1. piejam

piejam Member

Thanks Gamma you too! Gotta get your puttanesca sauce recipe unless you're like me..a little bit of this and that a pinch of whatever..lol

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    So that's what a "sloe gin fizz" is?
  3. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    All of these recipes sound great, but I think it is a lot simpler than you're making it. I just stuff some garlic, onions, and/or carrots into the turkey, sprinkle liberally with whatever herbs I have, usually oregano, basil, thyme, salt, pepper, put some butter on top, and seal the bird into its pan with aluminum foil. I roast it at 350 to 450 for a long time, try to baste it a few times with the juice from the pan, and it always turns out great. Way too often I have to start with a mostly frozen turkey and it still turns out great. The only problem with a frozen turkey is that it is tough to remove the neck and liver(??) that they put into the body cavity when the bird is frozen solid.
  4. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Pie, it felt really sad to drive by Miloski's on the way to work starting on Monday. No more turkeys running around :smirk:
  5. piejam

piejam Member

Hey Dixie,

Yep..but think how many happy families there will be..You can always go the the Verizon bldg on 25a(shoreham) or cr101(Yaphank-my old bldg) and get some wild ones..However think they would be tough..Used to come out the back door after a mid-nite run and find a whole rafter of them..The Yaphank bldg is a zoo...Lots of wild game since the rear of the bldg has a forest all the way back to the WM.Floyd Parkway!

Used to have to chase hunters because its illegal to bring a firearms onto phone co property..Bows n Arrows ok though I think...Nothing like tellin a guy with a 22 in hand to get lost...lol....

Wonder how Gamma( or anyone else for that matter) is going to cook da bird. Breast side up or down? cook legs separate from the rest? to stuff or not to stuff? If ya separate the legs you can debone and stuff them too....yum yum....Tried a marinade once with the legs on a grill(evoo, balsamic vinegar, garlic, rosemary and fresh ground pepper..) may have to get a cornished hen and try it out in the oven....hmmmmm-wouldn't want to ruin a whole damm big guy...not on a holiday anyway..

Look at it this way Dix at least those Tom's are feeding people..I was here when that horse farm barn caught fire in Manorville..Don't want to tell you what I saw..I cried for weeks on end....Oh well think I'm gonna play with a curried pumpkin soup w/creme fraiche dollup or maybe Italian wedding soup but make the meatballs with turkey sausage and ground turkey..I've done this..pretty good..Gamma got any good soup recipes???? Sorry to threadjack!-piejam
  6. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    Do the Italian wedding soup PJ :) ....turkey will work well in the meatballs....I use some pecorino romano in the meatballs....as well as some shavings in the soup...some use spinach leaves...I use escarole...
    I bake the turkey the traditional way....breast up.....I may try it breast down some time though...
  7. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Pecorino Romano, the best.

zap
  8. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    I heart pecorino romano like whoaaa !
  9. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Well, it has been rough but my preparations are all done. I put the bottle of Chardonnay in the fridge and sent the neighbors an email to let us know when to be down there to eat tomorrow night.

I am exhausted.
  10. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    A Pom I was having to work with in Maidstone one time was giving me grief about that day "When you Yanks kill and eat every turkey in the country.". I told him the Pilgrims left England to eat turkeys and to get away from Red Nose Day.
  11. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    When I was a kid I remember my family going to my Aunt & Uncle's house sometimes for Thanksgiving. Mom admonished us "Eat a little of everything your Aunt has put the time in to cook!" Well....... Aunt used to make this acorn (mashed) squash dish in the oven and she melted marshmallow on top, smoothed them down, returned the dish to the oven to brown the marshmallows. Ugh! I never liked it and refused to eat acorn squash any other time during my childhood!

Then I grew up and a cousin of mine served us acorn squash cooked this way & I am now loving acorn squash:

Cut squash in 1/2
    scoop out the seeds
    place four 1/2's face up in an 8x8 glass pan
    put a little water in the bottom of the pan
    add a couple tablespoons of butter or margarine to each
    add a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar to each
    add a couple of tablespoons of ground walnuts

Cover loosely with Saran wrap
    Pop in the micro
    Cook till squash is tender

Serve, in the shell.

MMMMMMMMMM............... lovely!
  12. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    You should be, BB. That's tiring work.

Glad ya made it.

My hearts bleeding for ya.
  13. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    It will be the most expensive meal I have ever eaten. They keep freezing their asses off in the power failures so I am giving them a new Jotul GF3 cast iron enamel gas stove with propane conversion kit, blower kit and remote control.
  14. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Pro - rate it. It's a win/win :)
  15. snowleopard

snowleopard New Member

DS and I did our T'day shopping this evening, peak shopping hour. Kid makes me laugh--except when he picked up the glasses off the shelf and started juggling them!--dang it--he knew they were plastic, I did not. They ran out of those inexpensive `buy $150 of groceries and get a free turkey' turkeys, so they were giving away their free-range all-natural $2.50 a pound turkeys with the promo. Ouch for them, and I've got my Christmas bird in the freezer.

Finally found a set of flatware that we both liked--upgrading from the odds and ends of this-and-that that occupied our silverware drawer, and marked down 25% off to boot. Pretty fancy! Matching silverware!

DD is in L48 for college, home for Christmas, but not Thanksgiving, of course. She's figuring out how to be resourceful when the cafeteria is closed. I figure there will be many students foraging in the nearby stores and restaurants, and she'll work it out. She mentioned to a swim teammate that she was having pizza for T'day, and the teammate promptly invited her home for Thanksgiving. She'll call in later, and we'll put her on speakerphone and have her join us for dinner. Lots of travel for kids in the upcoming years, so we'll probably be Skyping our holiday meals together for awhile. I bought her a pomegranate, just because she loves them. Even I recognize that's a little wack-a-doo.

Eight minutes to midnight here, so that just about wraps it up for this continent (I've not noticed many woodburners in HI on the forums). Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
  16. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    Sounds like a win win situation for you, I'm over there in spirit even if the body is stuck in the land of the whinging pom ;-)
  17. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Nice to know you've got our backs, Snow :)
  18. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    It's over......great holiday....
    Mother Gamma did not pick on me....I think Dixie had a talk with her.... :lol:
    I am staying in my jammies all day dammit and watching movies.... :cheese:
    Here's my bird....first time cooking a fresh one.....it had the most breast meat on it I have ever seen...
    lots a dark meat as well.....I would get a fresh one again....now for recipes using all the leftovers....Mr Gamma will be sick o turkey by early next week :smirk:

Attached Files:

19. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Looks great Gamma, here is what Mrs. Zap cooked up. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

zap

Attached Files:

20. snowleopard

snowleopard New Member

Always . . .
  21. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc: