FFF....Let's talk turkey and stuff....ing....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Gamma you too! Gotta get your puttanesca sauce recipe unless you're like me..a little bit of this and that a pinch of whatever..lol

woodchip said:
We often have Turkey at Christmas here.

The family tradition is to bottle the sloe gin a couple of days before Christmas, and use the boozy sloes to fill the turkey.

So that's what a "sloe gin fizz" is?

All of these recipes sound great, but I think it is a lot simpler than you're making it. I just stuff some garlic, onions, and/or carrots into the turkey, sprinkle liberally with whatever herbs I have, usually oregano, basil, thyme, salt, pepper, put some butter on top, and seal the bird into its pan with aluminum foil. I roast it at 350 to 450 for a long time, try to baste it a few times with the juice from the pan, and it always turns out great. Way too often I have to start with a mostly frozen turkey and it still turns out great. The only problem with a frozen turkey is that it is tough to remove the neck and liver(??) that they put into the body cavity when the bird is frozen solid.

Pie, it felt really sad to drive by Miloski's on the way to work starting on Monday. No more turkeys running around :smirk:

Hey Dixie,

Yep..but think how many happy families there will be..You can always go the the Verizon bldg on 25a(shoreham) or cr101(Yaphank-my old bldg) and get some wild ones..However think they would be tough..Used to come out the back door after a mid-nite run and find a whole rafter of them..The Yaphank bldg is a zoo...Lots of wild game since the rear of the bldg has a forest all the way back to the WM.Floyd Parkway!

Used to have to chase hunters because its illegal to bring a firearms onto phone co property..Bows n Arrows ok though I think...Nothing like tellin a guy with a 22 in hand to get lost...lol....

Wonder how Gamma( or anyone else for that matter) is going to cook da bird. Breast side up or down? cook legs separate from the rest? to stuff or not to stuff? If ya separate the legs you can debone and stuff them too....yum yum....Tried a marinade once with the legs on a grill(evoo, balsamic vinegar, garlic, rosemary and fresh ground pepper..) may have to get a cornished hen and try it out in the oven....hmmmmm-wouldn't want to ruin a whole damm big guy...not on a holiday anyway..

Look at it this way Dix at least those Tom's are feeding people..I was here when that horse farm barn caught fire in Manorville..Don't want to tell you what I saw..I cried for weeks on end....Oh well think I'm gonna play with a curried pumpkin soup w/creme fraiche dollup or maybe Italian wedding soup but make the meatballs with turkey sausage and ground turkey..I've done this..pretty good..Gamma got any good soup recipes???? Sorry to threadjack!-piejam

Do the Italian wedding soup PJ :) ....turkey will work well in the meatballs....I use some pecorino romano in the meatballs....as well as some shavings in the soup...some use spinach leaves...I use escarole...
I bake the turkey the traditional way....breast up.....I may try it breast down some time though...

GAMMA RAY said:
Do the Italian wedding soup PJ :) ....turkey will work well in the meatballs....I use some pecorino romano in the meatballs....as well as some shavings in the soup...some use spinach leaves...I use escarole...
I bake the turkey the traditional way....breast up.....I may try it breast down some time though...

Pecorino Romano, the best.

zap

zapny said:
GAMMA RAY said:

Pecorino Romano, the best.

zap

I heart pecorino romano like whoaaa !

Well, it has been rough but my preparations are all done. I put the bottle of Chardonnay in the fridge and sent the neighbors an email to let us know when to be down there to eat tomorrow night.

I am exhausted.

woodchip said:
Although I'm over the other side of the pond, I will join you all if I may, and cook a Thanksgiving dinner here in honour of you all!!!!!

Plus that menu looks rather tasty, and I really want to eat some pumpkin pie ;-)

A Pom I was having to work with in Maidstone one time was giving me grief about that day "When you Yanks kill and eat every turkey in the country.". I told him the Pilgrims left England to eat turkeys and to get away from Red Nose Day.

When I was a kid I remember my family going to my Aunt & Uncle's house sometimes for Thanksgiving. Mom admonished us "Eat a little of everything your Aunt has put the time in to cook!" Well....... Aunt used to make this acorn (mashed) squash dish in the oven and she melted marshmallow on top, smoothed them down, returned the dish to the oven to brown the marshmallows. Ugh! I never liked it and refused to eat acorn squash any other time during my childhood!

Then I grew up and a cousin of mine served us acorn squash cooked this way & I am now loving acorn squash:

Cut squash in 1/2
scoop out the seeds
place four 1/2's face up in an 8x8 glass pan
put a little water in the bottom of the pan
add a couple tablespoons of butter or margarine to each
add a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar to each
add a couple of tablespoons of ground walnuts

Cover loosely with Saran wrap
Pop in the micro
Cook till squash is tender

Serve, in the shell.

MMMMMMMMMM............... lovely!

BrotherBart said:
Well, it has been rough but my preparations are all done. I put the bottle of Chardonnay in the fridge and sent the neighbors an email to let us know when to be down there to eat tomorrow night.

I am exhausted.

You should be, BB. That's tiring work.

Glad ya made it.

My hearts bleeding for ya.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
BrotherBart said:

I am exhausted.

Glad ya made it.

It will be the most expensive meal I have ever eaten. They keep freezing their asses off in the power failures so I am giving them a new Jotul GF3 cast iron enamel gas stove with propane conversion kit, blower kit and remote control.

BrotherBart said:
BrotherBart said:

I am exhausted.

Glad ya made it.

It will be the most expensive meal I have ever eaten. They keep freezing their asses off in the power failures so I am giving them a new Jotul GF3 cast iron enamel gas stove with propane conversion kit, blower kit and remote control.

Pro - rate it. It's a win/win :)

DS and I did our T'day shopping this evening, peak shopping hour. Kid makes me laugh--except when he picked up the glasses off the shelf and started juggling them!--dang it--he knew they were plastic, I did not. They ran out of those inexpensive `buy $150 of groceries and get a free turkey' turkeys, so they were giving away their free-range all-natural $2.50 a pound turkeys with the promo. Ouch for them, and I've got my Christmas bird in the freezer.

Finally found a set of flatware that we both liked--upgrading from the odds and ends of this-and-that that occupied our silverware drawer, and marked down 25% off to boot. Pretty fancy! Matching silverware!

DD is in L48 for college, home for Christmas, but not Thanksgiving, of course. She's figuring out how to be resourceful when the cafeteria is closed. I figure there will be many students foraging in the nearby stores and restaurants, and she'll work it out. She mentioned to a swim teammate that she was having pizza for T'day, and the teammate promptly invited her home for Thanksgiving. She'll call in later, and we'll put her on speakerphone and have her join us for dinner. Lots of travel for kids in the upcoming years, so we'll probably be Skyping our holiday meals together for awhile. I bought her a pomegranate, just because she loves them. Even I recognize that's a little wack-a-doo.

Eight minutes to midnight here, so that just about wraps it up for this continent (I've not noticed many woodburners in HI on the forums). Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

BrotherBart said:
woodchip said:
Although I'm over the other side of the pond, I will join you all if I may, and cook a Thanksgiving dinner here in honour of you all!!!!!

Plus that menu looks rather tasty, and I really want to eat some pumpkin pie ;-)

A Pom I was having to work with in Maidstone one time was giving me grief about that day "When you Yanks kill and eat every turkey in the country.". I told him the Pilgrims left England to eat turkeys and to get away from Red Nose Day.

Sounds like a win win situation for you, I'm over there in spirit even if the body is stuck in the land of the whinging pom ;-)

Nice to know you've got our backs, Snow :)

It's over......great holiday....
Mother Gamma did not pick on me....I think Dixie had a talk with her.... :lol:
I am staying in my jammies all day dammit and watching movies.... :cheese:
Here's my bird....first time cooking a fresh one.....it had the most breast meat on it I have ever seen...
lots a dark meat as well.....I would get a fresh one again....now for recipes using all the leftovers....Mr Gamma will be sick o turkey by early next week :smirk:

Attachments

• 2011-11-24_12-35-24_632.jpg
    2011-11-24_12-35-24_632.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 224
GAMMA RAY said:
It's over......great holiday....
Mother Gamma did not pick on me....I think Dixie had a talk with her.... :lol:
I am staying in my jammies all day dammit and watching movies.... :cheese:
Here's my bird....first time cooking a fresh one.....it had the most breast meat on it I have ever seen...
lots a dark meat as well.....I would get a fresh one again....now for recipes using all the leftovers....Mr Gamma will be sick o turkey by early next week :smirk:

Looks great Gamma, here is what Mrs. Zap cooked up. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

zap

Attachments

• 100_4289.jpg
    100_4289.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 100_4290.jpg
    100_4290.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 215
Nice to know you've got our backs, Snow :)

Always . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.