FHA refinance loan requirements with coal stoker?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shenk111

Feb 22, 2008
eastern pa
I have a guy coming on tuesday to appraise home in lebanon pa. i have a coal stoker stove in my downstairs area and it does my entire home.i dosconnectedd our furnace in basement and used insulation to plug duct ends that go to vents in rooms in the mean time. anyone know if this would be an issue with new lower fha standards? my stove does keep every room above 50 degrees which i read is required.help!!!?/?/?

Im an appraiser, let me do a little research and Ill get back to you.

edit:I found it pretty quick , heres what the guidelines say.

2. Wood Stoves and Solar Systems: Dwellings with wood burning stoves or solar systems as a primary heat source must have permanently installed conventional heating systems that can maintain at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit in all living areas and those containing plumbing systems. These systems must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations

The way I read the FHA inspection guidelines that stoker ain't gonna cut it.

"2. Wood Stoves and Solar Systems: Dwellings with wood burning stoves or solar systems as a primary heat source must have permanently installed conventional heating systems that can maintain at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit in all living areas and those containing plumbing systems. These systems must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations."

"4. Non-Conventional Heating Systems: All non-conventional heating systems, such as space heaters and others, must comply with local jurisdictional guidelines. Often these are not acceptable as the primary source of heat."

this stoker maintains a temperature of over 50 in every room in my house. and on the space heaters,its saying some except space heaters and some dont?im confused?and are these recent guidelines or older two years ago plus?

shenk111 said:
this stoker maintains a temperature of over 50 in every room in my house. and on the space heaters,its saying some except space heaters and some dont?im confused?and are these recent guidelines or older two years ago plus?

It is from the HUD site fifteen minutes ago. And "maintains" means do it without somebody around to feed it coal. Insurance companies in most states won't insure houses that only have wood or coal heat anymore either.

I stay familiar with this stuff because my central heating system quit running 10 years ago or more.

A permantly installed heating system would be a baseboard hot water with oil/gas or forced hot air w/oil/gas, even baseboard electric is Ok. Basically something that doesnt require someone to feed it throughout the day. They would refinance you subject to you getting the furnace back to working order, what you do after everythings done and approved is your business.

Status
Not open for further replies.