fiberglass gasket question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
Each year I take apart and clean my F12 Jotul (today, it's marketed as a Firelight 600 cb) when I clean the chimney. This time, I found too many gasket splices and patches, so I decided to get new gaskets for the entire stove -- its been several years.

On one hand: The stuff they sold me as 1/4" material measures closer to 1/2" on a tape measure. Its profile is slightly oblong, with it measuring maybe 3/8 one way, and 1/2 the other. The 3/8" stuff looks about the same, but is softer, and round: a bit over 3/8" measured on any plane across the gasket.

On the other hand:... The gasket grooves cast into the stove also look much wider than the measurement of the gasket called for in the manual. So...

Is the measurement of the gasket nominal only? Is the stuff meant to compress down to nominal size?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards...

Status
Not open for further replies.