Fiberglass in flue area??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbering on

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2012
New York
Just had the installer here to measure.

He states his intention is to install fiberglass insulation in the masonry chimney. He told me rock wool is impossible to work with and he only uses fiberglass.

I recall learning here not to use fiberglass.

Am I correct, rock wool only??

I would not use fiberglass and I can't imagine that he would. Chit can catch fire yo!

I put roxul. Was easy to stuff up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had the installer here to measure.

He states his intention is to install fiberglass insulation in the masonry chimney. He told me rock wool is impossible to work with and he only uses fiberglass.

I recall learning here not to use fiberglass.

Am I correct, rock wool only??

If rock wool is 'impossible' to work with, then many people on here, myself included, have performed the impossible! Have to agree with Snotrocket - a new installer would be a wise idea. What other shortcuts is this one considering?

sounds sketchy....like he doesn't want to buy rockwool and already has tons of f-glass

I just stuffed 8 bats or so down my chimney during my mid year cleaning. Used a 1x2 oak board, got the stuff down 6 feet or so.

Roxul is the bomb! Just today as a matter of fact I took a whole batt of 2'x4'x8" and stuffed up my buddy's flue. He has a Buck 91 with a huge flue area and terra cotta pipe, HUGE! If fiber was able to be used you would have to use something to hold it up, like metal. We used the Roxul because it's rigid and hold itself in place, breeze to cut (bread knive) and is much better temperature rating. If you cannot make a blockoff plate, use Roxul. I called him and he said its amazing how quickly the room and stove heated up due to no more loss up the chimney.

Roxul is the stuff!

Thank you.

I called the dealer, asked for a different installer. He said all his installers use fiberglass, no problem.

I called a different dealer, asked what he uses: "rock wool, of course". Cost of install was 50% less than the other guy, no charge to remove the old stove, and no extra charge for the rock wool.

So easy to get taken if you don't know ahead of time. Another Hearth.com save.

Reactions: osagebow
Thank you.

I called the dealer, asked for a different installer. He said all his installers use fiberglass, no problem.

I called a different dealer, asked what he uses: "rock wool, of course". Cost of install was 50% less than the other guy, no charge to remove the old stove, and no extra charge for the rock wool.

So easy to get taken if you don't know ahead of time. Another Hearth.com save.
Don't ya love that!?
You did your research, asked questions, and had the sense to do it right, and you found a better deal for the correct install.
I love when that happens.
Congrats & enjoy

Reactions: osagebow
h.c strikes again.

another happy ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.