field/deer mice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_N_ice

Aug 27, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
What is the difference? Do they eat the same food? Noticed a mouse peak his his head from under my woodstack near my shed as I was mowing the lawn this am. Will the chimpmunks eat the peanut butter if spread on mouse trap? I did not look for a nest.

Though my wife mentioned last week that our kids saw a snake in the same area.

fire_N_ice said:
What is the difference? Do they eat the same food? Noticed a mouse peak his his head from under my woodstack near my shed as I was mowing the lawn this am. Will the chimpmunks eat the peanut butter if spread on mouse trap? I did not look for a nest.

Though my wife mentioned last week that our kids saw a snake in the same area.

That I know of, not a lot of difference. IMHO though, any effort to do population control on them in an outdoors environment is going to be pretty futile and non-productive, leave that job to the snakes and other predators. The mice may nest in the wood pile, but you aren't going to carry any in with you in the winter, all they'll do is make a bit of a mess...

Gooserider

Deer mice carry the hantavirus so it is important to ID them correctly. Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peromyscus has a pretty good writeup on deer mice. If you treat every mouse as if it has hantavirus and trap them all, that would be the safest.

To keep chipmunks from getting in the mouse traps, put the trap inside a cage that the mice fit through but chipmunks can't.

kenny chaos said:
Why you segregating chipmunks?
IDK I think they are protected in these parts or something.. do they have the same food/breeding/mess issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.