Fighting locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
So two years ago I got a huge stash of honey locust. It's been split and stacked for two full summers. I'm having a hard time getting the same heat I am getting from my oak and ash. Should I mix it or save it for next year? Could it be that it's still not seasoned?

Might not be seasoned. It is always a better wood to mix with others.

Have you checked it with a moisture meter?

I have a stash of honey locust that I got 2 years ago like you, I measured it last summer and it came out high so I decided not to even look at it for this heating season..... But now that you brought it up I might retest it or burn a couple of pieces next time we get a dry spell...... But I say to save it,there are good reports out there about honey locust......

Honey locust is excellent fuel, but not as "active" as some other, less dense stuff.
Pine is reported to be a quick, HOT fire - and it is, partly because of density. The HL is just on the other end of the scale.

It is very hard to start good fire with Locust by itself. As others said, it is good to mix Locust with some hotter burning wood.
I usually mix Maple or Ash with Locust. If you have a good bed of coals and a very hot fire it should take off.

I'd bet that HL needs to be seasoned one more year.
------------

Can anyone say if Honey Locust burns similar to Black Locust?

Just curious.

Can anyone say if Honey Locust burns similar to Black Locust?
My personal adventures prove honey to be even more dense than black but not a lot of variation. Heck, just the difference between a fence row tree or wood lot tree could probably make up or loose any perceived differences in them.

I've cut up locust that has been laying on the ground for years. No rot at all. No bark, but still bright yellow when split.
It still took a few years to season. Great stuff.

I've cut up locust that has been laying on the ground for years. No rot at all. No bark, but still bright yellow when split.
We had a few similar Locust come down years ago. Dry, no bark just nice yellow grain. My god it is a groan to split by hand when dry. After about a 1/4 cord of splitting by hand we rented a hydraulic splitter.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
We had a few similar Locust come down years ago. Dry, no bark just nice yellow grain. My god it is a groan to split by hand when dry. After about a 1/4 cord of splitting by hand we rented a hydraulic splitter.
Yep it's tough to split dry. That's the close grain we're talking about:cool:

I had some honey locust that was laying in a pile for 2 summers. I cut it up and it was really easy to split. I'd say it was one of the easiest splitting woods I have come across.

Just for fun, I tried to burn some. I could see water bubbling out of it. It's far from ready to burn.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Status
Not open for further replies.