figuring out r value

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacktop

Feb 1, 2008
northeast
I'm installing a sbi enerzone 2.3i wood stove insert. I was going to build a hearth that is 4" concrete block with 1" bluestone on top. This is going to be built on top of my existing hearth which is 1" bluestone on an unknown amount of cement that is flush with my hardwood floors. Is my r value higher going to be 1.0 or higher with the added height?
Should I leave air gaps under the blue stone? or do it solid? I'm worried about the weight of the stove crushing the blue stone when installing if I leave airgaps.

Various values are assigned to masonry depending on the exact units (concrete, brick, block, mortar). My feeling based on your description is that you will be in the ball park and OK. However, here are two ways that you can add a little (or a lot) to the value.

1. Use hollow 4" blocks....they have a small air space inside them. That should serve as a good heat break.
2. Use 2" block and then 4 layers of Durock cement board - that will then far exceed R=1 on the entire assembly.

As mentioned, I think you are close anyway, but either of these methods will add extra margins of safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.