FILING CHAIN WITH DRILL?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Anyone ever attach your file to a drill and sharpen your chains that way? I'm guessing as long as you have the right angle it should work and be less time and effort than doing it by hand.

Files are designed to be pushed and pulled, not rotary. Dremal does make a rotary grinder that may work in a drill, But in my experience its way to easy to take way too much off. I just find its not that hard by hand with a good file.

nshif said:
Files are designed to be pushed and pulled, not rotary.
Files are designed to only be pushed, not pulled or rotary...

I use my Dremmel with chain sharpening attachment works great, fast, and never had a problem with sharpening with it.

I used to have a little dremmel attachment. Had it's own little alignment gauge and a diamond cutting bit. It didn't really work that well seemed like the diamond bit just wouldn't cut without getting really hot, really quick. I suspect a plain stone grinding bit may be better.

Corey

I use a Dremel with the wood sharpening attachment. Works super. I've sharpened, filed, paid for chains to be sharpened for years. Got the Dremel, taught myself a logical technique and now I can tweak up a chain in 2-3 minutes and they last far longer than anything I have ever utilized before. To my surprise, I cut for almost 5 hours on a single chain. I know I have acquired a technique that now works very well. Couldn't be happier....

Todd said:
Anyone ever attach your file to a drill and sharpen your chains that way? I'm guessing as long as you have the right angle it should work and be less time and effort than doing it by hand.

I have used the dremel attachment.. it seems to work reasonably well. Its easy to over do it, and the correct speed matters so you dont overheat the bit. I can get my chains pretty darn sharp, Im just no good with a hand file.

cozy heat for my feet said:
I used to have a little dremmel attachment. Had it's own little alignment gauge and a diamond cutting bit. It didn't really work that well seemed like the diamond bit just wouldn't cut without getting really hot, really quick. I suspect a plain stone grinding bit may be better.

Corey

They make different sized long shaft stones now for the explicit purpose of chain sharpening. Just match the size stone to your chain & wallah.
I do 2 or 3 passes lightly and done.

I think the stone is the big key. Grinding ceramic or porcelain, diamond is great...doesn't seem to do too well with metal, at least not without coolant. I need to get a set of stones. I dinged my chain on a chunk of metal in the tree trunk last time i was out. Needs a little more work than the file alone can do.

Corey

cozy heat for my feet said:
I think the stone is the big key. Grinding ceramic or porcelain, diamond is great...doesn't seem to do too well with metal, at least not without coolant. I need to get a set of stones. I dinged my chain on a chunk of metal in the tree trunk last time i was out. Needs a little more work than the file alone can do.

Corey

I have never used a diamond bit/blade etc for any metal cutting/sharpening. As you said, ceramic/ stone/ brick ect yeah.
Get yourself the stone sharpener attachments, they work great! You'll never go back to hand filing again. I seen one that even ran on 12v car lighter plug in. For out on the road/ in the field.
I love the speed and ease myself ;)

Yup. speed matters among other things. Slower, even pressure. I have managed a technique that moves quickly along the teeth, applying a consistent method and pressure, repeated each time. Has worked swimmingly for me. Everyone has their methods. As mentioned, I cut for close to 5 hours which I know would be appalling to others who switch chains after a few tanks. But after three cords of pinion, it was just starting to lose its bite, which meant the bar and chain were wont to heat up, which called for a change. I couldn't be happier with the Dremel plus chainsaw sharpening bits, and an acquired technique. Works well here.... fast too.

MountainStoveGuy said:
I have used the dremel attachment.. it seems to work reasonably well. Its easy to over do it, and the correct speed matters so you dont overheat the bit. I can get my chains pretty darn sharp, Im just no good with a hand file.

There is a dremel type sold by Northern Tool (Item #1909-1704): $19.99. They also sell 3 sizes of stones. I actually got mine at the local Stihl dealer and the stones come 3 in a pack.

DC works great as I take the sharpener with me whenever I go to cut wood. Saw needs sharpening, just hook up the cables to the battery and in a couple minutes your saw chain gets sharp and you are back to cutting.

I got mine because of sore hands and fingers and filing was really getting to be difficult. Now I wish I'd have gotten this little tool years ago! I put it into the same category as a hydraulic splitter; wonder how I ever got by without either one.

btw, we use soft maple for kindling and using the log splitter is the neatest way to make kindling. I actually sit when I split wood (that ought to bring replies!) and also when making kindling. You have to be careful with the kindling though as sometimes they split and go flying. Now for those that are going to chastise me for sitting when splitting wood, I started doing that after a back injury. So that means I've been sitting while splitting for 23 years...with no injury at all.

And you call yourself backwoods Savage? There is nothing savage about using a splitter let alone sitting while splitting. You might as well have a cup of tea and stick your pinkie up !!!!! :) :)

Just kidding. Do what makes you happy and keeps you relaxed and safe. I rented a splitter once and because I had to lift all the logs it was a pain in the back!!!!

Now, I just split with a maul.

Carpniels

Carpniels, you have to get a splitter that splits vertically and not horzontally. Then you don't have to lift and you can sit there with one hand on the control and the other holding the coffee! lol

Sorry. That is all that Taylor rental has. And HD is more expensive and can't go vertical either.

I will have to work and stick with the maul.

I will ask my kids to get me something from the house.

Thanks

CarpNiels

I have the sharpener that runs off yyour battery, it works ok. I also have the 50 dollar chainsaw sharpener from Harbor Freight. Its works great just as long as you remember to not force it. It must take the hardening out of the tip of the chain if you heat it us cause if you force it, it dulls quick. If you take a little off at a time it lasts a long time. I used the drill and kind of sawed at it b4 I got the 2 sharpeners... it did work but you need to kind of saw at it and be steady to get a good edge. I used to use the drill to get it close then by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.