Filing Gear for my Husqvarna

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ampamp

Oct 31, 2010
Buffalo - Rochester
Trying to figure out which gear is best to buy to file my chain. I understand what I need for a .325, .058, 72 chain, but was curious if anyone has heard (or more importantly used) this Husqvarna product. It's called the Husqvarna Sharp Force 3/16" File Guide - HVA 653 00 00 35. It files the cutter as well as the raker all in one. Any issues with it? I was considering just buying a Husqvarna 3/16 file set, with handle....and a separate raker depth gauge and flat file....but this other device looks interesting. I've even had some Stihl guys really praise this. Is it worth it? I could probably buy all the items separate for a few bucks cheaper. Although the flat file probably won't wear out very soon. Just thinking about replacement parts for this device. I've held one...and it seem like something the pros might even use. I cut a lot of firewood so my saws get a lot of use, but wanted to hear some reviews buy some pros or vetern sharpeners. Thanks...the site is great!
Some added info: I use a full chisel .325, .058, 72 chain on a 350, Carlton and Oregon chains

I have one. It's ok. After hearing about other sharpeners, I am leaning that way. Good file system for touch ups, but not a really dull chain. Too slow.

You mentioned it's too slow. Is filing the rakers and cutters separately quicker or better. Seems like you can take a really dull chain and use a round file and make it real sharp. This doesn't do that?

It cuts rakers and cutters adequately at the same time. I have found that I need to pay close attention while using it. That is, correct angle both across the bar/chain and level across the bar. Sounds easy, but it's easy to mess up.

It will take a dull chain and make it sharp, but takes many passes to do so. The other problem is that you have to be careful to take the same amount of material off of each cutter, otherwise you'll cut a curve in the log. I would guess a really dull chain might take 1/2 hour to get sharpened correctly. How much is your time worth when you can take a chain and get is sharpened for $8 ? Like I said, good for touchups, but too slow for me for really dull chains.

There is a great video in a post today that shows this tool being used.

Other than the raker flat file attachment, it looks just like the regular super cheap round file guides we've all picked up at one time or another. My issue with those is that there is no real guide to help keep your angle true and correct, its stricly eyeball. I've sharpened a few dozen chains with one of those and never once was I able to get the thing to cut straight, I invariably sharpened one side straighter than the other because you have to watch your angle in two different directions simultaneously.

I have the Husky roller guide sharpener, it locks the round file into position so you can't wobbly up and down and because the rollers are a bit tacky it helps keep your angle fore and aft more true and consistent. It has a separate raker depth gauge as well, thought I have not had to use that yet.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=HVA+505+69+81+09&catID;=

Bonus, its less than half the price of the other one.

Yup. That's the conclusion I think I was looking for as well. You really should be able to use a guide like this and get a chain really sharp. Almost better than right out of the box. So the statement about it's just a cheap round file with a flat file too is right on. I agree. What bothers me too, is that the tool is so wide that when you are using it...it covers up those guide lines on the teeth too. The Hus Sharpforce does have a 35 degree mark, but that's it. I tend to use a 25 degree on mine. So, the item mentioned in the last post...what angle does it use. I was hoping to have some flexibility with that. I use a full chisel chain so I tend to go 25 deg vs a 35 on a semi chisel. No worries really, just wondering if that's predetermined on that roller system. It is a lot cheaper. It's 18 at my local Tractor supply, but that's better than 29 for the Sharpforce that I'm not completely convince on yet.

Nobody's yet mentioned Granberg's "File-n-Joint". Clamps on the bar. Insert file of your choice. Set angles and ht for one side. Touch-up can take as little as 2 strokes per cutter.
Swing guide over to other side. Hit teeth a/r.
For depth gauges, insert flat file. Set angle so file goes perpendicular to bar. Set ht. a/r for desired distance below cutter tooth. File depth gauges.

It's easy IMHO to get almost boringly consistent results. Been doing that with the same one for 35+ yrs. Never had a chain ground yet. What's not to like with that? Makes it easy to touch up the chain often, and still have it last many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.