Filing your chain by hand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jj3500 said:
I'd file the chain right before I start cutting. But it seems it gets dull real quick. Like very quick. The first dozen or so cuts, it goes like a hot knife through butter. Then it dramatically labors after that. Is this typical? Or is there still something I'm doing wrong?

Should I go and take off more on the chisels with the round file? Not sure what to do...other than sharpening every 15 mins. (seems a little ridiculous).

Thanks

It doesn't sound normal for sure, at least not with most woods - if you are cutting some sort of ironwood or something perhaps, but normally you should only need to "touch up" after every tank - or go 2-3 tanks until it gets duller than it should...

If you are getting the cutters nice and sharp to begin with, as per the pictures on the chain makers websites (I know Oregon is excellent in that regard, it is worth contacting them for their little maintainance and safety manual, its a freebie and well worth it...) then filing them additionally won't do a lot of good.

My three or four suspicions of possible issues are -

1. You aren't doing something right on sharpenning the cutters...

2. Your rakers aren't filed down to the proper clearance.

3. Your chain was previously overheated and has lost it's temper - has it ever been ground? (It is easy to overdo it when grinding)

4. You might be hitting the ground or other stuff that is dulling your chain...

Gooserider

If it cuts well when resharpened, it's not likely to be the rakers. My guess is you're putting too fine an edge on the teeth, meaning that the file is running too low, hooking them. That leaves a razor thin edge that cannot stand up to the rigors of cutting. Maybe you need to use a larger diameter file.

+1 on the file size or height.
That is mainly why I use the oregon giude that clips onto the file. It controls the height of the file.
Or are you using the correct guide for the file size?
I had one of the guides that clamps on the bar, never used it, too time consuming. But I don't freehand with a bare file as for me I can't get consistant depths. Many othe people can but I can't.

kcj

My 3/8" Stihl RS chain calls for a 13/64 file but I use a slightly larger 7/32 as I'm not cutting really hard stuff. It changes the angle just enough to hold an edge longer.

Thanks for link. To my knowledge, I'm pretty sure I'm on the mark for all those mentioned. I have to have someone else's eyes look at my chain.

I file freehand without a guide... I've had way better luck than when I was taking them in and having them ground.... Seems my hand edge holds better and longer...... (I'm too cheap to buy a guide is my problem)

About every dozen filings, I go over the chain with my dremel and an Oregon sharpening stone... My dremel has a 30 degree guide on it..... That gets the cutter re-shaped and I'm good for hand filing for a while.......

Status
Not open for further replies.