Filled Oil tank today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkofler

Burning Hunk
Nov 15, 2011
Long Island
Filled my oil tank today at $2.35/gallon. Can't remember the last time I paid that. Last few winters I ran the stove almost 24/7. Definitely not running as hard this winter because it's not hurting me as much when the oil burner kicks on. I am also not several years ahead on my wood supply like some on here are. So I feel like I would rather save the wood for really cold days, and/or just have some left for next winter.
Just wondering if anyone else has changed burning habits at all this winter with the price of oil coming down so much?

I am still burning wood 24/7. The only time I'll turn on the propane furnace is when we leave for a few days.

$2.35? It's still $3.30 here upstate. We saw just under $2.00 in the early spring of 2009 but nowhere near that since.

We plan on burning up most of the rest of the 2009 oil if it ever gets cold this winter and then hopefully the price will bottom out again this spring and I'll re-stock.

We made the switch from an old oil boiler to a high (97%) efficiency gas boiler this year. I sold the 200 gallons of oil left in my tank to a friend for $2/gallon and bought the first 500 gallons of LP for $2.17/gallon. The reasons for boiler replacement were to A) improve efficiency, B) Burn a slightly cleaner fuel when making hot water for domestic or heating purposes, C) Free up the single flue, center chimney to vent a wood stove

Now I'm bumming that it's so warm for this time of year; I'm running the stove as low as I can and the house is staying around 70 degrees. I haven't burned any LP for space heating since I fired the stove up and I plan to keep that trend going as long as I possibly can for a variety of reasons.

$2.35? It's still $3.30 here upstate. We saw just under $2.00 in the early spring of 2009 but nowhere near that since.

We plan on burning up most of the rest of the 2009 oil if it ever gets cold this winter and then hopefully the price will bottom out again this spring and I'll re-stock.

everything is over 3 bucks up here. wholesale heating oil is down 1.80 from last year, here it's down 50 cents. they lock in for the year so they're stuck. i dont burn oil but i sure would if it goes back to $1.50 or below. i'm far from poor but i wont pay $4500 per year to heat the house

I think it worked out to $4.71 a gallon up here when we ordered fuel at the start of November. It's slightly cheaper now, which blows my mind. I told the better half that it was just my luck I started wood burning the same year fuel oil got cheaper!

I don't mind though, good exercise, and our place is small, so very easy to heat with a small stove. Plus, there's no beating that wood heat....sitting around at -23 F where I live, and the thermometer says 76 F inside. I don't even know how I'd get the oil furnace to hit that temp.....don't think it would ever shut off.

The feeling of being self sufficient is nice too.

I'll burn wood as much as I can. The oil in the tank won't go bad sitting there.

I just got some oil, price here is $2.88, gasoline is $2.28, unless oil is under $2.00 I try not to use any other than for hot water, even then I would probably try not to use any.

I can get it for 2.39 and I very well may order some up. I also thought about adding a second tank. It would basically pay for itself on the first fill over last winters price.

The Dixette just paid $3.35 a gallon for 200 gallons. She was happy because it was so much less than last year (3rd winter in the house). 200 gallons last her a month in the deadest of winter here, with the heat on 62F. They have an old oil burner, and are on a service contract.

SMH

I filled with #2 oil in October for $3.82/ gallon. If I can find a safe economical way to make domestic hot water with the woodstove next year I'll do it.

I definitely stopped getting up at 0500 to reload my stove. Those 4 hours when the boiler kicks on no longer keeps me awake worrying about the bill.

$2.35/gallon is CHEAP!! I always find it is nice to have 2 sorts of heat. One that you can contribute to (wood) and one you are independent from (electricity/oil/etc).

Some insurance companies require 2 sorts of heating, at least in Canada they do.

My MIL was recently hospitalized for 10 days and my FIL kept worrying about the wood stove going out while he was at the hospital with her. I went to his house, flipped on the electric furnace and told him I'd pay the bill. End of story!

Andrew

Filled my oil tank today at $2.35/gallon. Can't remember the last time I paid that. Last few winters I ran the stove almost 24/7. Definitely not running as hard this winter because it's not hurting me as much when the oil burner kicks on. I am also not several years ahead on my wood supply like some on here are. So I feel like I would rather save the wood for really cold days, and/or just have some left for next winter.
Just wondering if anyone else has changed burning habits at all this winter with the price of oil coming down so much?
No. Burning wood. I'm done buying fuel. Used to be cheep now it's more then high test . Bought a enden pure this yr. If need a little extra heat.

Got oil for $2.29 in CT today. I dont think it will last , though. Arabs will stop their pumps when they done with killing US shelf oil industry and done with Russia that gonna be half-dead with prices like this in couple months.
May be I should fill up some jars for next year :).

Status
Not open for further replies.