Filled up one end today..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
This end holds 6 cord and is filled with locust...now to start on the other end which holds 12 cord...and it will be filled with locust as well..

Filled up one end today..

That looks amazing

Reactions: Tar12
I see you, pickaroon!

Also damn, I'm jealous. Nice work.

Last edited:
That Locust will serve you well. 80% of mine is Locust.

Thanks for the compliments...a lot of money and hard work went into the lean-tos...all treated lumber and metal roofs...I am not doing it again in my lifetime...

Thanks for the compliments...a lot of money and hard work went into the lean-tos...all treated lumber and metal roofs...I am not doing it again in my lifetime...

It really is very nice work.

Im currently building multiple smaller versions. Mine are 20' x 4' free standing with 5' roofs and will cover 2 cords each. Im using non-PT lumber for the headers/rafters though as they will not be getting wet. The posts are PT.

It really is very nice work.

Im currently building multiple smaller versions. Mine are 20' x 4' free standing with 5' roofs and will cover 2 cords each. Im using non-PT lumber for the headers/rafters though as they will not be getting wet. The posts are PT.
I got a incredible deal on the treated lumber as a overstock company had some pretty sweet bulk buys and me and my buddy went in on some together..otherwise I would not have used treated.

Reactions: Caw
I really like it. I'm trying to decide exactly where to put mine. I see so many options and possibilities that it's hard to decide.

Nice job - a thing of artisanal beauty !

While not nearly as impressive, I filled up a stack today too. This is just a temporary lean-to that holds 2 cords (2 splits deep) while I'm working on my permanent structures. This is mostly oak and maple with a little ash mixed in!

Not bad for my first year but I strive to one day be on your level!

20210118_151044.jpg

While not nearly as impressive, I filled up a stack today too. This is just a temporary lean-to that holds 2 cords (2 splits deep) while I'm working on my permanent structures. This is mostly oak and maple with a little ash mixed in!

View attachment 272198
You are doing great! My first years sucked and didnt look as good!

18 cords of locust. Good God what a beautiful sight.
I also have 6 cord of Ash and 6 cord of Oak...I am taking next year off...if I dont I am going to have wood going bad on me..the locust will last for years under roof.

We started out rough too. An undersized epa stove and fresh wood. It was tough. Started to get ahead and got a hernia, then burned sawmill scraps for a tear and a half and then got back into wood. This is our best year with over 20 cord put up. It was nuts, and it's not real neat, but it's stacked and half is covered. We are trying to get a wood shed built in the spring. It all takes time and you can't do it all at once.

Reactions: D8Chumley and Tar12

View attachment 272198

Nice. Working on more permanent structure here too (well, working on - moving my existing stacks, like yours but tarped, to make space for the permanent structure).

Question: I've always been hesitant to put a 2x4 in a cinderblock like that, thinking the weight of the wood might just crack open the cinder block. (I've put PT 4x4's into the ground instead.) Do these cinderblocks survive?
I had one block carrying the wood break ... (though this was stacked 7 ft high, oak, so quite heavy).

I would be hesitant to use a block after picking up stacks that have tipped over(stacked by inexperienced helpers). The amount of work to clean it up is not worth the risk to me.
The biggest problem is not being able to know if the bricks are already cracked from being mishandled. I stack on rows of pallets and crib the ends. We go as high as we can reach with good results.
I have used posts before and they work.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I would be hesitant to use a block after picking up stacks that have tipped over(stacked by inexperienced helpers). The amount of work to clean it up is not worth the risk to me.
The biggest problem is not being able to know if the bricks are already cracked from being mishandled. I stack on rows of pallets and crib the ends. We go as high as we can reach with good results.
I have used posts before and they work.

Yes, that's my philosophy - a 2*4 rectangle laying down on cinder blocks. And posts going in the ground on both ends to avoid outward forces from within the hollow of the cinder block.

But I see a lot of pics here with that typical angle of leaning 2*4s in the cinder blocks, and I wondered...

I haven't had a problem with the cinder blocks yet but I'm only in year one. I just inspect the end blocks closely before using them and hope. While there is definitely a lot of force, the majority of the force is being pushed down through the bottom timbers onto the top of the block.

In fact I bet if the block did crack it wouldn't give way with a full stack. The timber would hold it block in place. Once the wood starts coming off though it would eventually give out.

Im not terribly concerned about tipping. Its always possible but these are double stacks with 6" air gap and I put 4 x 4" branches across both stacks half way up every 4 feet. It's very stable, it would take an incredible force to tip it. I think I'd be more concerned with the roof blowing off before it tips.

The single stacks on the other hand are quite flimsy. I have 2 of them right now about 6' high and I could easily knock them over if I tried. I wouldn't go any higher single stacked.

If I ever do have an issue it would be easy enough to switch the designs to a more stable 4x4 post structure as I use the wood on the racks. I'd also imagine it would be an isolated event or a once in a blue moon thing. Ive seen so many stacks like this and no reports of cracks. But definitely good to have a back up idea in case it goes south!

Last edited:
Reactions: stoveliker
Yea the bottoms are 8' landscape timbers but the cinder blocks are every 4' OC...the bottom is 16' with 5 blocks. There is a touch of sag over the 4' sections but not much.

This particular structure also has the weight of the roof on the timbers/blocks and it still holds. My permanent roof structures will be similar but have 4x4s in deck blocks on the ground, taking the roof weight off the timbers/blocks/2x4s. This one was just my I'm mad at my tarps and I'm gonna build a roof today for fun MacGyver roof experiment. :)

If you went every 8' the boards would definitely sag significantly or even snap if you tried to put a full cord on it. I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Last edited:
I stack 6.5 ft on pallets and I can hear them scream. Try to get the heavy pallets when I can find them. Love that project of yours. Nice work.