Filler for between existing hearth and hearth extension?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Widow Ralston

Nov 15, 2008
NJ
I'm building a removable hearth extension from Durock and Thinbrick with an aluminum frame. Much like what you'd see at the hearth store, but as a DIY it's costing me less than half. Getting a custom to match my existing brick hearth width was more than I wanted to spend.

I removed the existing wood quarter-round trim in front of the brick hearth and there's a gap between the floor and hearth. The gap is approximately 1/4" wide and about 1 1/4" deep (the original floor had been relayerd with 1/4" ply and 3/4" pine). Is there any type of non-flamable filler material that I can place in the seam? Want to prevent the possibility of any embers or ash getting down in there.

Thanks.

I s'pose it could be packed & finished with regular old mortar (the pre-mix is commonly called "sand mix"). Would probably match the mortar between hearth bricks. Why do you want to be able to remove the hearth extension? Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.