Filling gap between Insert Surround and Fireplace Face.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stejus

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2008
Central MA
I'm searched but unable to find an answer. I am about an 1/2" short on my depth for a Hampton HI300 insert. This would cause a 1/2" gap between the surround and the brick face. Has anyone fabricated some iron or steel to put against the fireplace face to make up this gap? If so, what am I looking at for cost to fabricate some iron or steel?

Thanks and moments away from pulling the trigger (I hope).

Nice looking insert stejus. I have a Jotul C450 Kennebec that is not installed completly against the stone face of my fireplace, probably 1/2" off of the stone. Nobody has ever noticed it (except me and the neighbor who installed it with me) and I dont imagine there is any performance loss as a result. I wouldn't worry about it unless you think it will be really noticable in your application.

boostnut said:
Nice looking insert stejus. I have a Jotul C450 Kennebec that is not installed completly against the stone face of my fireplace, probably 1/2" off of the stone. Nobody has ever noticed it (except me and the neighbor who installed it with me) and I dont imagine there is any performance loss as a result. I wouldn't worry about it unless you think it will be really noticable in your application.

Wouldn't be bad if I never saw the side view. In my case, I walk through a door into another room to get the wood so I would see it all too often. I think a peice of steel will do the trick to close it up. I just don't have a clue as to how much this would cost.

Why steel,how about aluminum angle from HD and spray it to the color of the stove
and screw or pop rivet to the surround.Only if it bothers you that much.

budman said:
Why steel,how about aluminum angle from HD and spray it to the color of the stove
and screw or pop rivet to the surround.Only if it bothers you that much.

Wasn't sure aluminum would hold up to the heat. If so, I can always look into this. I'd like to create a u channel so i could stuff insulation behind it as well.

I had the same issue with my Lopi declaration. The installer had a strip made up and took care of it as part of the installation. he said they do it all the time. It fits like a glove.

Pic is not showing up for me, but, here's an idea. When at Home Depot, take a look in the ceramic tile section for a product called Schluter edge moulding for ceramic tile. The are aluminum, they come in different anodized colors, and in different thickness, different profiles, and different shapes.

Here is a link to the company, but the pics on their website really don't help much, and unfortunately, Home Depot only stocks certian sizes, profiles and colors.

http://www.schluter.com/137.aspx

Anyways, you might be able to find something that tucks up under the edge and leaves a nice finished accent (or blend) while also filling the gap.

I looked at that stuff and may use it to fill a gap that I have on a custom surround, but I want to check out the other styles that Home Depot does not stock. Most of your better ceramic tile shops and distributors will carry a larger selection in stock for you to actually look at.

You might need to do a little trimming here and there, but, it's worth taking a look at. KD

Status
Not open for further replies.