1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Filling Space between Chimney and Floor

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by ICY99, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICY99

ICY99 New Member

Loc:
    CENTRAL, NY
    Hello,

The chimney goes right up through the center of my house. We are doing some remodeling and now want the entire chimney to be exposed. It used to be behind a wall. It is 17x17 block. The problem is that there is a gap of about 3" all the way around it where it comes from the basement up to the 1st floor. There is no fire hazard as there is no burning in the basement. Any ideas/experience on sealing the gap?

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. richg

richg Minister of Fire

Please provide some pics, thanks.
  3. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    That gap may be a code requirement... There are spacing requirements for clearance between a chimney and combustible materials, so you may be limited in what you can do to close that gap... As stated, pictures may be helpful in figuring out what your best approach might be.

Gooserider
  4. ICY99

ICY99 New Member

Loc:
    CENTRAL, NY
    I appreciate the replies. My question is now obsolete as I have decided to completely tear out the block chimney and replace with a Class A stainless. Thanks for your time anyway.
  5. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    Glad to have helped... Good luck with the new project, and bear in mind that the stainless chimney still has clearance requirements. The manual for whatever product you're installing should have the details and listings of the hardware required for a safe installation.

Gooserider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.