Filling the movable wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommybro

Mar 18, 2008
Terryville, CT
Hi,
Wanted to share my way of moving and storing fire wood for the winter.

I have a 10x10 shed on 6x2's that I have 3 friends help me carry it onto my porch. I found this much easier than messing with tarps on the porch. I then use one of my kids atv's with a garden trailer to fill it up.

Here are some pics on the setup I figure this helps me store somewhere around 3 cord for a full shed.

pathway
woodpath.jpg

Kids helping fill the shed
kidsmovingwood.jpg

Full shed from inside the house
fullshed.jpg

I hope this helps someone else with this same type of setup.

DTR doesn't look very happy. Cutting into her FB time?

I like it! Nice big shed, but you need a nice open deck for that! Still a great plan. Daughter looks just like my niece!

Happiness for me, was the year my son's chin reached the handle on the Lawn Boy which meant he was old enough to push it. Sharing in the chores builds character.

Did you put any studs inside the shed so that you can stack against the walls without cribbing? One time I rented a Ryder moving truck to move 3 cord and when I stacked it all in there, the sides were bulging like a loony toons cartoon. I was afraid it was going to split apart.

your not to far from me i live in bristol. know some people in terryville ya might know

I did not bother with anything in it other than 4 2x6's crossed on the floor, this is my 3rd or 4th season doing it this way. I used to stack it with square corners so I would not blow out the sides but the past 2 years I have not bothered and it's held up OK, some bowing but not bad. When you are stacking you try not to toss it against the sides but gently place.

When I got the shed it was at home depot for around $250 I think it has been money well spent, I would probablt have spent at least half that much on tarps by now.

This is the first year I thought of using the atv to move the wood and that litle 80cc makes life so much easier than a wheelbarrow.

My wife does hate looking at it but appreciates shoveling a little path to the doors and opening them up and getting wood in your slippers instead of digging under tarps dealing with ice etc.

I've considered one of those rubbermaid snap together jobs for the same purpose.
Easier to move single handed.
Kinda pricey, though.
I have a smaller one that holds 2 garbage cans and some recyclables and that wasn't cheap.
Used for garbage cans.

Keep my eye out on craigslist for those sheds used.

I don't know if I ifwould bother with a CL one, it would be a pain to move down the road check this one out $199
This one is at home depot.

Arrow 8 ft. x 6 ft. Newport Deep Metal Shed

Model # NP8667 Internet # 100119313
Store SKU # 817565

Uou can even get the tarp type for about $119 but I did not want to mess with getting the snow off it, nervous it would collapse.

That should work rather nice for wood storage as long as the wood is dry before going in. You'll appreciate that once the snow flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.