Filling up the stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
So, managed to get out today and do a little splitting. Only did about 1/2 cord, but it's nice to see the stacks growing.
Stack before and after pics. should take about 2 more cords to fill. Still have 2/3 cord to buck, but wanted to take a break from that.
We're getting nice weather again, trying to enjoy it.
Edit: Well, I guess they showed up as after, then before pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3723resize.jpg
    IMG_3723resize.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_3717resize.jpg
    IMG_3717resize.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 369
1/2 a cord is allot, Good days work.
Nice day, snow melting?
The wood on top of the stack, looks older or different than the other wood. Or is it the picture?
That is just one nice stack of firewood. :)

Nice! I sure like your "wood wall"! That's pretty cool.

Good work Dave. Good to get that done now as this weather is about to come to a screeching halt.

Backwoods Savage said:
Good work Dave. Good to get that done now as this weather is about to come to a screeching halt.

NOooooooooooo, yeah, too late.
It was 12 this morning. Not terribly cold, but colder than it's been.

bogy, using the small trailer works out to 6 loads. If I had used the utility trailer, most of it would have been done in one. Obviously, just takes longer to load, unload.
I'll have to take a look at that top foot or so. We have been getting above freezing and quite a bit of melt where the sun hits. Those first two 16 ft. sections, were stacked last Aug., and I don't remember putting any older wood on top.
The row to the left of this one is for this coming winter (is it too soon to be talking about yet another winter?), and I did that with some leftover from this winter's stuff.

Wow that quite a long row...almost get vertigo looking at it. Good job.

PapaDave said:
So, managed to get out today and do a little splitting. Only did about 1/2 cord, but it's nice to see the stacks growing.
Stack before and after pics. should take about 2 more cords to fill. Still have 2/3 cord to buck, but wanted to take a break from that.

Based on the shadow. I'm guesing you are running them east to west. The sun predominately hitting the the left side of the piles and the northern winds blowing thru the right side of the piles. Correct?

I have been splitting and only piling my wood. I figured it was more important to get it split now and stacked later.

Monkey Wrench said:
PapaDave said:

Based on the shadow. I'm guesing you are running them east to west. The sun predominately hitting the the left side of the piles and the northern winds blowing thru the right side of the piles. Correct?

I have been splitting and only piling my wood. I figured it was more important to get it split now and stacked later.

Good eye, although most of the winds come from the west. In that field, they sometimes swirl, or come from just about anywhere. I figured it was best to orient to let the sun do it's magic, and the wind will find it's way.
With the sun being so low in the winter sky, that stack gets less exposure. The plan is to extend the stack to the left at least another 16ft. section and only stack 4ft. high. I might also move the left stack farther to the left to allow a bigger trailer in there, which would also allow more sun to hit the lower part of the r/h stack.
Here's a pic from the other end.

Attachments

• IMG_3722resize.jpg
    IMG_3722resize.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 262
Just a little update. Got another 1/3 cord done today. Nothing fantastic, but I got out there.
Checked one of the splits, and it was 27%. Glad this stuff isn't going to be used until 2011.

Attachments

• IMG_3727resize.jpg
    IMG_3727resize.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_3728resize.jpg
    IMG_3728resize.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3729resize.jpg
    IMG_3729resize.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_3730resize.jpg
    IMG_3730resize.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 217
Very nice looking firewood rows you have there.. I bet will season quickly the way you're set up...

Ray

I am very envious of your setup you have there.

Status
Not open for further replies.