Final Cleaning of Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Seasonal Cleaning

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papelletman

Mar 17, 2014
Montgomery County, PA.
I am getting ready to do my first end of season cleaning, and was wondering how most do theirs? Do you clean it where it sits or move it outside? Do you remove blowers or leave them in place?

My plan was to clean the stove where it sits, use my ash vac and some compressed air to clean without removing blowers. Vacuum the vent out, then hook up a leaf blower and suck the rest out.

I am getting ready to do my first end of season cleaning, and was wondering how most do theirs? Do you clean it where it sits or move it outside? Do you remove blowers or leave them in place?

My plan was to clean the stove where it sits, use my ash vac and some compressed air to clean without removing blowers. Vacuum the vent out, then hook up a leaf blower and suck the rest out.
This plan gets my vote...although I didn't burn a ton since install.

No end of season cleaning here as may light mine any time of the year.Stoves are vastly different,as are installs,will comment if you use compressed air inside your house,outside of your firebox without combustion fan on(or leaf blower running) you will be cleaning dust for a month.

No end of season cleaning here as may light mine any time of the year.Stoves are vastly different,as are installs,will comment if you use compressed air inside your house,outside of your firebox without combustion fan on(or leaf blower running) you will be cleaning dust for a month.
Maybe longer !

My end of year cleaning will be the same as my mid season cleaning. which is the same as my monthly cleaning only with a brush run up the chimney. You can do that with a P series Harmon though, I know some other stoves you can't access everything with them installed. As far as moving it outside, not in this life time, isn't happening. Not pulling any blowers either. I cleaned the combustion fan and convection fan last month in place. The combustion blower gets cleaned at least once per month, it's so easy to do ( pull out the ash pan to empty it. Lift the lever behind the ash pan and take out the small panel the lever locks in place and there is the fan. Just brush it off and vac out, close it back up 3 minutes later than if you just emptied the pan)..

We pay our stove dealer to do it. The will completely disassemble the stove, clean every piece, apply grease where needed and reassemble.

It's still too soon to do that here. It's 3pm and only 47 outside. The stove is currently running.

We pay our stove dealer to do it. The will completely disassemble the stove, clean every piece, apply grease where needed and reassemble.

It's still too soon to do that here. It's 3pm and only 47 outside. The stove is currently running.
It is 40 here at 7:18 PM, supposed to stay there overnight they say. Last night was about 35 and the stove was cranking up pretty good overnight. It's been cycling on and off all day ( drizzly day, in the low 40's till the sun came out this early evening). Hoping that sometime in May we can shut it down but even then we may need it in the evening till June, I don't like being cold..

Status
Not open for further replies.