Final Load of the Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
My goal for the season was 65 loads, which comes out to about 21.5 full cords. Got the last one done today, but had to slog through a couple inches of snow to do it and froze my hands in the process. I could/should have just spent my lunch hour eating a hot lunch out of the microwave, but I knew it would bother me all winter long if I didn't finish what I set out to do. Between what I have in the barn and stacked out back, that's 43 cords. No place to put anymore without some serious negotiations with the Memsahib. Probably not happening. She seems to think that now I can quit cutting wood for the next four years. But that's not happening either, I can assure you of that. Still got 8 cords blocked and sitting in the woods for next spring/summer. I may have no choice but to haul just that next summer and paint the house.

43 cords!!Suddenly I feel like a real slacker.Eric,you're a sick man...I'd prescribe beer, a recliner by the tv, and the self-expressed pat on the back.Congrats.

This summer a friend dropped by and after looking over my wood pile, called me a "moron." This is a guy who regularly runs out of wood in the middle of the winter. He has to live in a cold house and kiss a cold wife. What do you bet he asks the "moron" to help him out (again)? But it is a serious psychological condition, I will concede that point.

Here I was feeling so cocky for being one year ahead for the first time in 30 years and BAM. Smacked down. Gotta go see about a PROZAC prescription.

If it's not going to bum you guys out too much, maybe I'll post a pic of the pile this weekend as I'm loading the barn to the gills. Snow on the ground today, so I better quit goofing off and get to work.

And yes, I've been known to have the occasional beer or other alcoholic beverage from time to time.

Hi, my name is Eric and I'm a woodaholic. %-P

Eric, with 43 cord on hand,that EKO must feel like a fat kid in a candy store. :lol:

Hello. My name is Eric. And I'm never gonna run out of dry wood.

The EKO is happy. The house is 80 degrees.

Congratulations on getting a year ahead, BB. That's a good place for a non-fanatic to be.

H O L Y S H A M O L E E ! ! We thought we were at the pinnacle of wood burning and then opened the door on the Master....

I had just gotten to the point of being ready to forgive Eric for making solder joints that are works of art, and now this. I've been working for three years now to try and get more than a year ahead, and I still haven't done it, and I only burn 4 cords per year. Now I feel like cr*p.

We need a serious flaw here, Eric! Some major character defect or stupendous incompetence so we can feel better.

Well, the pros over on the heating site all said that my hx construction is not up to code, is built with the wrong materials and won't last, but screw them--I'm going to drop it in the tank anyway because it's already built and I don't feel like starting from scratch. So you can start with Stubborn, Stupid and Cheap. Those are also the same qualities that are useful in large-scale firewood production, by the way. What else would drive someone who has 42.66 cords stacked in his back yard out in the woods on a crummy winter day to fish firewood rounds out of the snow with soggy, frozen gloves?

Eric i need directions to your house and what time you go to sleep.

Now I can point people to you when they make fun of our wood pile size! Way to go Eric.

I say a wood pile down the road asked if he heats with wood, "No way!! I sell it and heat with gas, wood is dirty nasty stuff to heat with." he balances his wood profits against his gas bill.

WOOD FOR SALE , Eric to finance that new boiler.

Wood sales = free boilers

Just let it go.......but not cheep!

There will always be trees growing in the woods calling Eric, Eric !!!

Just let it go.......

Moderation in all things, you ever thought about takin up fishing.

I have p... envy! That's pile envy, as in wood pile.

clinton ny? damn, thats on the other side of syracuse.lol wish I had the time and the land to cut that much fire wood. even just an 1/8th of that. instead I'm forced to switch over to a pellet stove. Still searching for the right pellet stove for my needs. Hope fully I settle on one before I burn up my last 5 face cords. Natural gas was costing me nearly $400.00 a month. I really feel like a slacker now. You are the man Eric.

Now I'm getting paranoid about you New York guys.

Carpniels and slowzuki know where I live. They'll keep their mouths shut if they know what's good for them.

Wow, great job Eric! How long do you think it will last? If I had that much it would last me about 14 years, but I don't heat my water and I have a small home.

What most people don't realize is that he used to toast 15 cords a year and the new boiler isn't even going to come close to that. Not seeing the stacks shrink is going to drive him nuts.

Eric, I "brought in about 25 cords this year. That's a combination of bringing in standing and lying dead from about 10 acres around my house, a friend who works for a tree service and just plain scrounging. Now I figure I'll burn 4 maybe 5 cords this winter. I have about 12 spit and stacked, the rest I still have to do though anything dead is at least off the ground and tarp covered. I hope I can get it all undercover so it doesn't rot! Brought home about a cord and a half just this past week. The town was cutting down stuff near the down town roads, oak, sugar maple, norway maple, like good stuff that I just needed to load up and drive home. How could you not? So I think I have a serious problem! Like how will I feel if this stuff starts to rot before I burn it? Ding it by hand then selling it doesn't really cut it either. So Eric, 43 cords??? Like will you live to burn all that? You must use what? 10 cords a year? Bless you brother, you are seriously the king!

He who dies with the most dry firewood wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.