Final step of first sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
I believe I've done a "good enough" job of cleaning the chimney, but the stove pipe is my current concern.

I saw the most buildup in the stovepipe and it is a 6' run of 5" single-wall. I'm currently taking the pipe apart to brush it out with a grill brush. How clean must it be? There is some pretty significant creosote in there that is bonded quite well to the sides. Is it worth me buying a 5" round brush and cleaning it like a chimney, or should the grill brush be enough?

That's kind a strange, usually most of the crud is in the upper part of the chimney. How is your pipe joints sealed? Maybe it's sucking air and cooling the flue gases, I like to smear furnace cement between the joints for a tight seal. Occasionally I use a wire brush for my pipe but I don't see much creosote in my pipe, usually some fine powder or ash in the horizontal run.

I think it is worth getting out. That is the last place you want a chimney fire. I am terminally lazy and have a power washer. I power wash mine. It is kind of exciting. The wife watches just for the yucs. She has a lot of stories that I don't like to listen to. I power wash everything. Must be some kind of disorder or something.

Todd said:
That's kind a strange, usually most of the crud is in the upper part of the chimney. How is your pipe joints sealed? Maybe it's sucking air and cooling the flue gases, I like to smear furnace cement between the joints for a tight seal. Occasionally I use a wire brush for my pipe but I don't see much creosote in my pipe, usually some fine powder or ash in the horizontal run.

In my last post, this was suggested (sealing joints) and I believe I will do this. Thanks. ;)

JimboM said:
I think it is worth getting out. That is the last place you want a chimney fire. I am terminally lazy and have a power washer. I power wash mine. It is kind of exciting. The wife watches just for the yucs. She has a lot of stories that I don't like to listen to. I power wash everything. Must be some kind of disorder or something.

That would be a good excuse to break out the pressure washer. Hmmmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.