Final T-Stat M55 op0eration question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
So my M55 is in Auto, thermostat set for say 71 for today swing set is 1 degree, and its cold outside (for example) House temp reaches 71, at some point the stove shuts off because my house is tight and the temp is holding. So now the stove is in shutdown/cooling mode for 20+ minutes. What happens if for whatever reason the house cools off rather quickly and the temperature drops below the setpoint...Does the stove interupt its shutdown and fire back up? Or does it simply finish its shutdown cycle and then start up?????Confused, Bill

It runs on low setting for 30 minutes. if there is no call for heat at that point it shuts off. If at any point during the 30 minutes there is a call for heat it will ramp up to the setting you had it on. (#3 for example)

Thanks Kykel.....Right! I finally got a chance to see for myself! Bill

Depending on time of year, you might burn fewer pellets in hi/low mode if it is starting up again so soon. Remember that when it starts it dumps a lot of pellets in the pot to get going. Then it has to get the stove back up to temp which takes even more pellets. If in hi/low mode, the stove will stay at temp and when it goes to low it burns very few pellets. If the stove is starting back up w/in 1hr of shutting down, you are probably better off in hi/low as 1hrs worth of pellets on low is probably pretty close to what it takes to get the stove started and back to temp. Except you are putting heat into the house during that full hour.

Or you can program the stat with a higher swing (2 degrees) and can extend the time before it starts again.

good point. I tried the auto off but I prefer the hi/lo option. Lately its been warm so ive turned the stove off when I leave for work. Wish it was on auto/off today. came home to a cold house.

Thanks Kykel! But in Hi/Lo the stove just keeps running and running correct? I am under the impression that in Hi/Lo the stove doesn't shut off at all. Am I wrong? Bill

kykel said:
good point. I tried the auto off but I prefer the hi/lo option. Lately its been warm so ive turned the stove off when I leave for work. Wish it was on auto/off today. came home to a cold house.

Don't be afraid to switch from hi/lo to auto off just before you leave for work. For me I usually switch to manual first, Shutdown the stove(stat is at temp). Then switch the mode to auto/off. Once I get home the house is warm and I just switch to hi/lo. The only bummer with this control is the stove does not start in hi/lo from off to when the next call for heat happens.

bostonfan49 said:
I am under the impression that in Hi/Lo the stove doesn't shut off at all. Am I wrong? Bill
Nope, Your 100% correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.