Final Touch Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2015
Southwest Virginia
I am just finishing up the installation of my wood stove and hope to fire it up to cure the paint tomorrow. I have a question. I bought some Stove & Fireplace Cement & Mortar from Lowes. I put the T-Piece together and placed this on the seam on the inside of this. I was wondering if this should be put where the T goes into the stove, or is it necessary to pull this apart when you clean your chimney liner? Or do you just seal this up (i assume it really cannot be removed once set) and not worry about cleaning that horizontal part of the T where it inters the stove? I will be putting in the machine screws at this point, and at the base cap at the bottom of the T that you pull off to clean it.
Looking forward to the first burn!

If I am understanding you correctly, this is the clean out T connected to the Progress. I have the same set up and didnt use cement as the connection was tight and I just used screws. I havent found it necessary to clean the short horizontal pipe. But, cement isn't permanent if you use it, the pipe can always be banged off with sharp blows with a short 2 x 4. You are going to love this stove, are you installing (more importantly moving) it yourself?

Last edited:
Yes, it is the PH. I've got everything set up. All that's left is to pop these last screws in. I had 3 friends over to help me get it onto the hearth with some moving straps. I have the short leg version and was putting on the heat shield. Couldn't get that last piece on and called Woodstock. They told me I needed to tilt the stove to get it on...ouch...luckily I had a friend close by that could come over and help me tilt it just enough so my wife could install the shield.
I am going to light my first fire today.

Cement is not necessary.

A friend of mine put cement on the inside of a double wall stove pipe telescoping piece. Needless to say it wasn't telescoping anymore. lol

Enjoy the fire initiation in the new stove!

Andrew

Ah lucky you! I'm stuck in Saudi Arabia and in exactly 1 week I will be back in the good old USA. My girlfriend sends me pics of the fire, and it's killing me. KSA is NOT the heat I want. I started with short legs and had the same problem putting the last heat shield on. I took a leg off since I had no help moving my stove...what a challenge. Well enjoy your stove!! One thing that helps me - bypass and cat mode look the same by the handle and reading the scribed type sometimes is hard to see. When I go into cat mode I turn the loose handle back so it's at an angle. That tells me from a distance if I engaged it or not.

You could put some cement if you would like but it should be fine without it. When the cement cures it gets very brittle and is easy to break apart but you shouldn't ever have to disconnect that section of pipe just clean it from the bottom of the tee. I put cement around the tee connections but not where the side run of pipe meets the stove.

OK, Heat Shield
I got some copper flashing to do a heat shield. My wife and I want to see as little of the heat shield as possible. How wide does the heat shield need to be. The mantel (wood) is about 72 inches wide. Does this whole width need to be covered...or just a certain area over my progress hybrid? Also, can I use copper tubing as a spacers or do I need to use ceramic spacers or something like that. I want to be safe on this.
I had a guy do a break in the front and back with the copper and I'm really not happy with how it turned out. If I could make it a little less wide it might give me some more options.

I would think you just have to shield directly over the stove. I t might look weird with just the little bit of shield in the middle of the mantle.

I would make the shield a bit wider than the stove on each side.

Status
Not open for further replies.