Finally a good CL score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
I've seen Craigs List ads to take down a tree or pick up wood(usually only good for camp sites, river lots, etc) only to find out the trees are near power lines or some other situation that a novice cutter like me should not even think about attempting, but I finally got a good one. They said they had an ash down from a storm...I drive out and indeed it's an ash and a BIG one(well to me it is). They didn't want a lot of mess left over though so minimal noodling to take place. I wound up with 4 loads in my F250 with built up side boards. Main trunk was about 30" at breast height. Nice thing about this downed tree was the main trunk remained above ground, I was able to cut the rounds right down the trunk to within 3' of the root ball. Had to trailer my small tractor out there to get those rounds onto the truck. Now I'm waiting to get more wood to split to make it worthwhile to rent a splitter or maybe my daughter bf will let me use his again this winter(horiz & vert). Just thought I would share my 1st CL score and I would normally have pics but I went kayaking last weekend and I got the camera wet(I'm still very pissed at myself for that!).....so I'm in the market for a new one....hope to have one soon and will add pics later. I'll be keeping an eye on CL for future scores... love scrounging!

muncybob said:
maybe my daughter bf will let me use his again

If I were you, I wouldn't give him a choice...... :coolgrin:

Good job on the score!

Sweet score. Our camera suffered a similar fate canoeing fourth of July weekend. Would you believe the replacement doesn't work with 2000 Professional?

muncybob - Okay, I've never worked on a downed tree that still has the rootball attached but from what I have read elsewhere that rootball can pose a hazard - cut too much off the top and if the balance is wrong the the rootball can make the remaining tree 'stand up' very unexpectedly.

Glad you had no problems but be careful and keep an eye out for movement when that rootball is still attached.

Shari

Shari said:
muncybob - Okay, I've never worked on a downed tree that still has the rootball attached but from what I have read elsewhere that rootball can pose a hazard - cut too much off the top and if the balance is wrong the the rootball can make the remaining tree 'stand up' very unexpectedly.

Glad you had no problems but be careful and keep an eye out for movement when that rootball is still attached.

Shari
Years ago, when cross-cut saws and horses were still used an ancient old oak tree went down at a rural church near where I live. The church members and others of the community gathered to saw and cut the giant tree up. When finally they got close to the rootball the stump/rootball suddenly flopped back over into it's hole. A few minutes later a mother missed her little toddler boy who had been running around with the other children. Very, very sad tragedy.

If that rootball is still standing it might not be a bad idea to carry your tractor back over there and push it back onto it's hole. ??

Just a thought,
Ed

Good job Bob, except for the camera. You'll appreciate all that wood once this heat leaves.

I kept an eye the the root ball and the trunk for any movement while I was cutting. It could not have worked out better for me. The home owner is going to have somebody remove what I left behind(wasn't much trunk left)...they will need a bigger tractor than I have or perhaps a strong winch. This adventure now has me checking CL daily.

Finally got us a cheap camera until I can afford the type I really want...so here a few pics so you can be assured it actually did happen. I'll either need to borrow a splitter or noodle...or both!

Attachments

• P1010079.jpg
    P1010079.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 504
  • P1010078.jpg
    P1010078.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 512
That's a great score! Nice work. You'll get a lot of splits from those big rounds.

That is a good score! There has got to be 2 cords or a little more there!

I would normally have pics but I went kayaking last weekend and I got the camera wet(I’m still very pissed at myself for that!).....so I’m in the market for a new one….hope to have one soon and will add pics later.

Hate it when that happens, Lost one to water leaking into the dry box. "pelican box"

2 cords would be nice...hard for me to judge since these are the largest rounds I've ever dealt with. Pics should get better...these were the first with this camera and I'll learn how to not overexpose! It will do for $50....next year I'll give to the Mrs. and get a DSLR or a "super zoom".

Well, it's been awhile but I finally got that ash split and stacked. Came out to a little over 2 1/2 cords. Had to noodle down the large rounds so I could get them onto the splitter...or even move them to the splitter when upright! 1st pic is the pile in "ready to be split" condition. 2nd pic is the 20+ yr old MTD splitter that I rented for $30...he let me have it from late Friday afternoon until early Sunday morning. That Friday it was a full moon so I split 2 truck loads by moonlight. 3rd pic are the final 2 piles stacked on pallets. The closer pile has a small amount of maple in there but otherwise it's mostly the ash. Pallets/skids are almost 12 X 4.

Glad it's done!! Between these and the maple/cherry I had already stacked, next year is taken care of...now onto being 2 years ahead. I've been cutting with a friend's Jonsered saw and he is in no hurry for it back so I'm saving my $$ for a splitter...this way I don't have to bust my butt using a rental and trying to get everything done in a short time period.

Attachments

• P1010533.jpg
    P1010533.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 226
  • P1010536.jpg
    P1010536.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 234
  • P1010557.jpg
    P1010557.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 212
Status
Not open for further replies.