Finally a good supplier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
Finally found a guy that delivers logs. His company does forestry work and did some culling a few years ago and has around 30 cords of oak. He also has many other types but he sends the really good stuff to the mill. Next time I call he will add some cherry, black walnut and maples.

Attachments

• l1.jpg
    l1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 530
  • l2.jpg
    l2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 526
That there is ALOT of work, hareball ! What did it cost you?

He charges $60 per cord (logs) plus delivery.
Sells logs, rounds, or splits.

Judging by the photos, I'll bet I can safely say you're the only one on your block with a load of logs sitting in the driveway. ;-)

hareball said:
Finally found a guy that delivers logs. His company does forestry work and did some culling a few years ago and has around 30 cords of oak. He also has many other types but he sends the really good stuff to the mill. Next time I call he will add some cherry, black walnut and maples.

Looks like it's well seasoned, so once it's cut and split it should dry very quickly. Might even be ready for use this winter. :roll:

Presuming you're going to work it up yourself, and chainsawing it, your b&c will be running pretty dry and hot. Needing extra oil.
Good reason to give the chain frequent "kisses" with a file. (You're not going to hand-saw this, are you?)

For the upcoming "maples" do press for sugar maple rather than silver or red. Waaaaaaaay better. Cherry is so-so compared to oak, just smells great.

Enjoy the exercise, and many hours of combustion.

Looks good hareball. Not sure if it will be ready to burn this winter or not though. Good luck.

Thanks guys! It's nice to finally have a solid supply!!

CTYank- Gonna start on it tomorrow. I'm gonna have to hit the spots I'm gonna make my cuts at with a brush. Has some dirt here and there but much of the bark is falling off.
The nice thing is that everything seems to be under 14" round and i have high hopes to burn some of the thinner logs later this winter.

Neighbors must be loving you!

I found a tree trimming business near me that does the same thing.

18 cords for $550.

I still have about 1/3 of it in rounds cause i no longer have space for any more split wood :(

Neighbor next to me opened his door and asked if I thought we were going to have a bad winter. A few have firepits and stop by for a few splits or bring over some rounds and have me split it. I've been here longer than any of them so I guess I'm tolerated :cheese:

That's a cool load hareball and looks like a lot of fun, what town is he based out of?

Who is it, may I ask? That price is half of what we'd pay up here for a cord, but the cords are sold as splits.

If you have a HOA don't be surprised if someone wants to update the covenants to ban tree length delivery of wood...

Chumby- No HOA here.

ChrisNJ and tiber- All he told me regarding his location was that he was coming from the West His name is Manny and I can pass his number to you. He said he can deliver up to 9 cords.

Made a little progress today

Attachments

• l3.jpg
    l3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 320
  • l4.jpg
    l4.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 324
hareball said:
Chumby- No HOA here.

ChrisNJ and tiber- All he told me regarding his location was that he was coming from the West His name is Manny and I can pass his number to you. He said he can deliver up to 9 cords.

Made a little progress today

A mysterious man from the west? I am IN!

Please pass it along.

Try and drop the walnut out of the mix!

Finished bucking the logs

Attachments

• l5.jpg
    l5.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 230
  • l6.jpg
    l6.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 232
Look like nice dry stuff!

Looks like a nice haul - how much did those logs work out at once you had cut them down? 3 cords?

What I ended up with is a row 24'x5'x20".

Looks like he clear cut some of the standin dead oaks around here. Get that stuff split asap and it'll dry right out. Im burnin dead oak tops from work the day i split em. Some are 6" round still and don't even make a hiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.