Finally, able to do something

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Finally got ok to do light work.
So I guess it's split vertical. Feels good to be outside & over dressed.
Backwoodsavge will be proud of me :)
Took the splitter into the shop yesterday to get the fluids warmed up.
Made "back saver" trailer hitch for ATV.
Got to 40° so I had to do something.
Feels good to do something, Will try cutting the logs tomorrow. should be cord +/- total.
Plan to run 2 rows, however long (depends on how much fire wood I can get this year).
2 row per pallet with a good separation between the 2. Now 5' high, seems stable.
This a good way to season? 2 rows with separation, in open air & sun.
1st Pic fro Dennis, vertical baby !!!! The only way to split! Wood can dry with a view of mts

Attachments

• 100_6027.jpg
    100_6027.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 502
  • 100_6028.jpg
    100_6028.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 470
  • 100_6030.jpg
    100_6030.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 485
  • 100_6031.jpg
    100_6031.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 481
Bravo! Good work to have done before the Reds come! Stacking plan looks like a winner.

Y'all are going to inspire me to try vertical one of these days. The last time oc considered it the wheels were frozen into mud debris, and the debris field prevented the beam from getting vertical.

It's way to muddy here to haul wood. The frost starting to leave the ground.

Good deal Dave.
Glad to see you're able to get back to it. How's the back feel today?
Stacks definitely need the airflow, so that should work well.
Details on your "backsaver" hitch?

woodmeister said:
bogy, do you have a close up picture of your " backsaver " looks interesting.

Yeah, yeah - detailed pics requested!!!!

Excellent Dave. All you need to do now is empty that milk crate so you have something to sit on. ;-)

It is great news to hear about you out and doing some work. I know only too well how you feel being cooped up waiting to heal. Just don't overdo things and that can be done very easy as you ease into more and more work.

Not sure I'd stack 5' high, especially in your area. It certainly can be done but you are inviting more possibility of the stack tipping over either from frost heave or wind or both.

I like the hitch. More pics! So far, best I've come up with is the store bought "Hi-Hitch", but you can't use a pin hitch then, just the ball up high.

lawn-pro-hi-hitch1-250.jpg

Backwoods Savage said:
Excellent Dave. All you need to do now is empty that milk crate so you have something to sit on. ;-)

It is great news to hear about you out and doing some work. I know only too well how you feel being cooped up waiting to heal. Just don't overdo things and that can be done very easy as you ease into more and more work.

Not sure I'd stack 5' high, especially in your area. It certainly can be done but you are inviting more possibility of the stack tipping over either from frost heave or wind or both.

pic of hitch in "gear"

Yeh, earth quakes shake it some too.
Anyway hopefully this is just a start. I figure I need 6 more cds for 2012 -2013 winter.
Maybe a stick between the 2 rows near the top every 6' or so to tie them together would help. May try it.

Felt good to be able to split some wood.
A little stiff today, but was like that before the back blew up,
If I ever wake up with no pain, stiffness or soreness somewhere I'd think I was dead. :)

Had to laugh this AM, snow:

Attachments

• 100_6033.jpg
    100_6033.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 327
bogydave said:
Had to laugh this AM, snow:

Looks like you are dealing with the same cycle we are. Funny to think we will likely be doing garden prep in two weeks.

Dave, as of yesterday, I could now get started splitting our wood as the snow is all gone where the wood is stacked. We had a fantastic spring day yesterday and most of our snow is now gone! There is still snow around the fruit trees so I haven't yet done the pruning on them. Hope to get that done before the weekend is done if possible. Right now my back is about like yours so with both the back and hip being sore, work has to be done slow and easy.

First time I've ran the saw for about a year. I forgot how tough on the back it is.
Today I feel it. stiff & sore but a good stiff & sore.
May take a few more days of work like this to get back in descent shape
but even this little pile of a cord + feels good to look at.

Attachments

• 100_6043.jpg
    100_6043.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 100_6047.jpg
    100_6047.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 100_6045.jpg
    100_6045.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 222
I stack exactly like your pictures. Two rows, maybe 12" in between. Every two to three feet both along the run and vertically I put a cross stick. My piles are 4 feet at one end, 8 feet at the other, about 15 feet long total. With y kids (and friends) it seems like I am always watching someone run, bike, pogo stick, or somersault past these pile. Makes a guy feel better knowing they are solid. I put 24" in between each pair. So far, so good!

Good luck,

Bill

I know how you feel Dave. It really can feel great to finally get out and do some work. Then when you step back and look at what you've done, it just gives a man a good feeling.

bogydave, glad you can get out and do some work, take care of that back.

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.