Finally almost ready for the insert---couple questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barkoholic

Oct 24, 2011
Oregon
Hello, I have some questions before I finally put 12" slate tile over the top of my new hearth extension and install my Lopi Republic 1250 insert.

I built up the extension with several layers of plywood and more layers of durock and it is now flush with the old brick hearth, which is all covered with a layer of wonderboard. The old brick hearth is not level and the floor was so the new structure had to be built an 1/4" thicker on one side and 1/4" thinner on the other. It feels pretty solid but I still wonder if it might move a little and was going to use flexbond thinset to set the tiles. I used regular thinset between all the durock. Is the flexbond necesssary? Is it as heat resistant as the regular stuff?

Second, there is an ash trap in the middle of the fireplace that is open, one brick wide, and goes to the back of the chimney which is now inside an interior wall now that the house was added onto. The insert will partially cover it. The metal clean out door for the ash trap is right at the floor iniside the wall (I cut it open to look for it), almost completely covered by the new subfloor and inaccesible. If I leave the ash trap open, or just covered loosely with a spare piece of durock, will that be safe for any heat going into the room behind the chimney?

Finally, would I be smart to insulate over the stove, or can the insulation behind the panels around the insert keep the whole thing airtight enough? I am of course installing a new 6" liner and had to open up the smokeshelf to get access to remove the old 8" liner from an old insert, (which had been removed and fireplace had been abandoned by last owner and actually covered with a cabinet I removed) and make room to run in the new one, which I have not done yet. It seems like a lot of open air space to lose heat out now.

Forgive em if these are dumb questions or hard to follow, this site has already helped answer many other questions I've had in planning this project, but I am new to this and have exhausted my internet research capacity and need to finish this thing!

Thanks!

Greetings. It sounds like you are making good progress. I like a good latex modified thinset for the tiles. Flexbond is popular and does a good job. It is totally non-combustible and a good choice for the hearth where there will be expansion and contraction with the temperature changes.

I am not sure I totally understand the cleanout issue, but you should be fine by just covering the hole. I would not insulate around the insert, but I would consider sealing off the damper area with a block-off plate or at least stuffing it with Roxul, mineral insulation.

Take some pictures and post them here. We love new projects.

Thanks BeGreen for the response. Good to know I've got the right mortar. I am going to set the tiles on the hearth extension today and am optimisitic that it will look good. Still not quite flat but I think it will be just fine. You answered my ash cleanout question, thanks, I won't worry about it too much. I will get some of that insulation and maybe use it with the old block off plate from the previous insert.

My main concern now is the fact that the chimney leaks quite a bit and is not completely clean yet. I haven't been able to get up on the roof since it's metal and extremely slippery when wet, but I hope that the leaks are mainly from the cap now loose over the terra cotta flue, and will disappear with the new liner and rain cap in. I will eventually replace the cracked crown that might be as big of a culprit. Without a picture (I tried but they didn't come out) I probably can't explain it well, but the chimney now is just brick, with only one ~11x13 flue tile coming out the top. We had the chimney inspected and swept in the spring, before I pulled the old steel liner out, so they did not sweep the brick walls of the chimney, which have some ash (and spider webs) on them, and what appears to be creosote clinging to the underside of the top. I will do my best to clean this all before everything is in and sealed again---any creosote left in there a recipe for trouble with the new liner going through, right?

I will be happy to post a picture once I've made a little more progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.