Finally almost ready to FIRST FIRE my eko or is it too cold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugar

Oct 12, 2008
East central KS
It's 20 deg today and -5 tonight. Tomorrow will be single digits. Saturday on is supose to be really warm. Am I risking too much to attempt my first fire and draining of the prep solution while I have a major freeze situation. I would really like to use the stove in cold weather but should I wait. Thanks

If you don't have any leaks in your system and everything seems ready to go, I say fire 'er up. You'll be glad you did.

Start with a few smaller chunks of wood until you're sure the pump--or pumps--work, then fill it up and enjoy the free heat.

Remember that these things take a few fires to break in (mostly getting the moisture out of the refractory), so you'll get more smoke than you expected at first. And with weather this cold, you'll get steam, which looks like smoke.

should I start with the prep solution or without. I'm only thinking of having to drain durring cold weather. maybe that isn't anything to worry about. I could add the prep solution later. Also I'm not really sure how to get the solution into the system. I guess I could open a plug and just pour it into the pipe.

I'm not sure what you mean by prep solution. If it's boiler treatment chemicals, follow the instructions. If it's a system cleaner, then I'm not sure. Maybe somebody else will offer some advice on that. Generally with all that stuff, you pour it in through a pipe.

Rugar,
Congrats man! To echo Eric I started my EKO40 on Thanksgiving weekend in 06. Temps were around 25*f with some rugged wind. My unit is outside. I did the prep solution, drained and put in my regular treatment solution for ph balancing. I used charcoal briquets for the initial fire. If your unit is outside bear in mind there will be condensation to your wood as the air warms and then hits the cold wood and moisture collects. Using the "Match Lite" by Kingsford gave me a good coal bed to start with. I just followed the directions on the bag like I was starting a grill. I had gasification in about 10 minutes from striking the match. It's a beauty to behold when it happens. Read the manual for primary, secondary and blower settings and also read the Fine tuning Eko sticky before you light your boiler whether or not you make adjustments or not. Having the fire is great understanding it will shorten your learning curve to maximizing heat output and fuel economy. Enjoy!

Rugar,

No time like the present, I just started my Eko 25 Sunday. Two, suggestions start small with the fire, you may get an unexpected surprise. Also if you are running storage you may want to isolate it from your secondary so the storage warms quicker. Just remember to open a valve periodically to equalize pressure.

Don't be surprised to find a few leaks. There is a big difference between Cold water at 20 PSI and 140*+ water at 20 PSI. I found 3 leaks.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Thanks guys. I have found a hitch though. I used one of the ruber gaskets for the taco 007 pump on the rebuild of my return manifold on my secondary boiler. Thought I could find one at the hardware store. All I could find were round O-ring's and there slightly too big or too small, can't seem to even slip them in place.

What do you do for leaks durring the initial run. Forget them and hope they go away or shut everything down tear it apart.

If they're in black iron, give them a day or two and see what happens. I had multiple small leaks that went away after one or two heating/cooling cycles. Copper tends to keep leaking once it starts, but very small leaks might plug up on their own. You can get those rubber gaskets for your pump at Home Depot. I like the idea of starting with commercial charcoal. Nice way to establish a bed of coals and get good gasification quick. Remember that the more coals around/over the nozzle, the better.

I never thought of Home Depot. THanks. Instead of $10 in shipping I can spend that on diesel and shop for other things also, plus have it tomorow.l

Status
Not open for further replies.