Finally - Avalon Olympic installed - with pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenlloyd

Sep 14, 2011
des moines, IA
Still have to do the chimney top flashing and cap plus reinstall the stove internal components that were removed so I could manage to move it around, but it is in place now and the connection has been made. Still a ways from the first firing though.

Can't say I think Avalon's idea of putting one of the stove adapter screw holes at the very back is a good idea, it's dang hard to get to in tight spaces like this.

Here's what it looks like, I'll take a straight on shot when I get the crap cleared out of the way.

Now I gotta go see a man about a blower!

steve

installed2a.jpg

There a lot of things I will do and there a lot of things I won’t do. Things I don’t do are plumbing, a/c repair, and working with my insert. I paid a guy to install mine. Call me chicken and I don’t mind. It looks like the face is too extended onto the heath in the fireplace. Do you have the manual? Did you measure it? Do you have the surround panels? Here is the manual http://www.avalonfirestyles.com/TravisDocs/93508061.pdf

PS it AWSOME unit, we love ours.

Robert

robertmcw said:
There a lot of things I will do and there a lot of things I won’t do. Things I don’t do are plumbing, a/c repair, and working with my insert. I paid a guy to install mine. Call me chicken and I don’t mind. It looks like the face is too extended onto the heath in the fireplace. Do you have the manual? Did you measure it? Do you have the surround panels? Here is the manual http://www.avalonfirestyles.com/TravisDocs/93508061.pdf

PS it AWSOME unit, we love ours.

Robert

I was completely prepared for this install, knew where everything had to go and exactly where things would end up when it was done. The insert is precisely 16" from the wood floor, which is what the manual specifies, in fact to make that happen it had to position the unit in the firebox a tad deeper than the minimum depth for the standard install, which was fine because of where the flex liner comes down. Any further forward and the liner connection would have been problematic because of bricks.

Been through the manual front to back several times, rechecking everything, not using paneling on this install, there's a foot or more of Roxul above where the old damper was installed supported by galv steel sheets. I'll cover the liner connection with a section of black pipe wrapped around it just for show.

Should be burning some small fires later tonight if I get the guts reassembled, the chimney termination just got finished!

steve

VinnyM said:
Have you started up your wood stove yet?

Excluding Thanksgiving (gone) it's been going pretty much 24/7 since that picture was taken. The only problem now is that my wood storage was geared towards heating my garage this year, not a house.

Also, invested in the blower too, makes a huge difference.

It's been the best thing I've invested in for years....wouldn't live anywhere without one now.

Steve

Awesome.. I just purchased one for my business. The flame, ambiance, is amazing on this beast. I also got the blower but I am not truly happy with it. Are you able to feel a very good amount of hot air getting blown by the blower on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.