1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

FINALLY!!! back at it

Post in 'The Gear' started by Stihlmike, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Stihlmike

Stihlmike Member

Loc:
    Lilly pa
    Hello all,

I have had a crazy last couple of months, with my fly tying business, work, and school, as well as other dad duties, but will be back in the saddle tomorrow. I have not ran my saw in a few months. It was emptied before I had put it away.
    Wondering if it would be a good Idea to run a can of the STIHL premix through it before going back to a tradition mix.

Is there anything I should do with the saw before running and cutting?

I had not got to cut a lot with it before its winter break, but was wondering what all checks I should preform before I cut wood tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help. I still need to put up a picture of my Farm Boss.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. splitoak

splitoak Member

Loc:
    Jefferson Co, WV
    Regular mix is fine..50:1...sharp chain..proper tension...cut...
  3. Stihlmike

Stihlmike Member

Loc:
    Lilly pa
    sorry to sound like an idiot, but is the 50:1 the 2 gallons of gasoline to 1 bottle of the performance stihl oil?
  4. Clarkbug

Clarkbug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Depends on which bottle you buy. They sell different size bottles depending on how much you want to make at once.
  5. ErikR

ErikR Member

Loc:
    northern WI
    stihlmike, 50:1 is 50 parts of gas to 1 part oil. So, in 1 gallon of gas, (128 ounces) you need 2.6 ounces of Stihl oil.... 128/2.6=49.23 or as close to 50:1 as you'll get. I've never purchased Stihl oil, but I see it'd bottled a lot like the Husqvarna oil I buy. Buy the bottle size that best suits your needs. It looks like they label their bottles for easy figuring......

Capturestihl.JPG

Good luck!
  6. KodiakII

KodiakII Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Soo much easier with the metric system!;lol
    Wildo likes this.
  7. Stihlmike

Stihlmike Member

Loc:
    Lilly pa
    Got it. I went band got some fresh gas and made a new gallon mix. The oil I use is the grey bottle kind that extended your warranty.

It was cold in the garage this morning but the saw fired really quick without skipping a beat. Pretty excited.
  8. BEConklin

BEConklin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I like the premix bottles and use them exclusively now. They are a little pricey but they are ethanol free, stabilized gas, have a long shelf life and are easy to carry into the woods with the saw.