Finally been using my stove (first ever..) questions/issues...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The EPA-approved stoves are designed specifically to burn very dry wood (15-20% moisture) with little to no smoke and pollutants
And with much greater efficiency. We have members here who report burning nearly half the wood they used to, and with as much or more heat output.

I wish sprinter... I am getting 2.5-3 hours max.

Tomorrow, when I go again, I will split that oak and test it..

BTW - my chrome browser stopped working with this site... using explorer for it. Anyone having the same issue?

Ok - then if buying wood doesn't guarantee me good dry wood as well then how about this: I walked my land a bit and I have many dead trees (still standing but clearly dead for several yeas) that I can cut, split, and stack. I will burn those with the hardwood floors I have and just deal with it... Then hopefully next winter this wood should be good by then. Right?

I don't see any other options...
First, don't be afraid to ask To split and test wood If you're buying it, But it most likely will not be under 20 percent.

As far as your dead standing trees, Depending on the species some of it may be dry enough to burn, The only thing you can do is go cut them down and test them.
I have cut down 10 inch dead standing ash And the whole tree was under 20 percent, Some other bigger ones Only the top half of the tree was dry enough to burn, Other species may be dry enough to burn as well, Depending on how long it has been dead, You may be able to burn the top one quarter or 1/2 of the tree, And or branches but, No matter how small the pieces, you must split it to check the moisture content

Status
Not open for further replies.