Finally bought a splitter, what a day!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reaperman

Nov 1, 2006
Central Minn
Well I wrestled over which splitter to buy for a couple of weeks now and today I finally picked one up. I ended up getting one from Northern Tool. The 5hp, 22 ton unit. I was originally looking at their 30 tonner, but the cycle time was slow (16 sec). So I bought its baby brother. They basically look identical with the exception of a smaller ram, and motor. Northern Tool has a special going on now. If you buy one of 3 certain splitters you get a free Husky 137 chain saw. Not a bad little saw, it retails for $189.00. Its a 16 inch bar with 2hp. If I signed up for a Northern credit card, and used it for the purchase, I could take an additional $50 off, plus no payments or interest for 12 months.

So with assembly required, they loaded it in the back of my truck with a forklift and I was off. It's listed weight is 550lbs. Luckily I have a bobcat, or I would have no idea how to get it out of my truck. I wrestled the splitter and pallet onto the bucket of the bobcat when I got home and started the assembly. For the most part, the instructions are clear and the assembly is fairly simple. The hardest part is getting the main splitter I-beam, with ram and assembly stood upright to bolt on to the trailer section. This I-beam section must weigh at least 300lbs. Again I used my bobcat to stand it upright. I dont know how someone could do this without at least 3 grown men. After I got it bolted on, the rest was going great. Only 2 steps to go. Screw on the hydro, filter and connect hoses. Where is the filter housing and filter?? Oh, $hit, it wasn't shipped with the unit.

I had about 10 minutes on install left and no way to finish with out the filter and housing. I called Northern Tool and talked to the salesman, and told him he better run one out to my house so I can finish. I told him to hurry because I was dying to play with my new toy. Of course, I knew he couldnt do this but it made me feel better saying it. He said the filter unit is attached to the tank from the factory, I assured him it wasnt and there was a plastic plug in its place. He said they close in 1 1/2 hours and if I wanted one I'd have to run in and get it. I said whats in it for me, if I do. I said I live 30 miles away, so its a 60 mile round trip. Plus 1 1/2 hours of my time for a part thats missing. He apologised and said his hands are tied. I wasnt going to let it end with that. I said let me talk to the manager. The manager said he would give me a $25 gift card for my trouble. I agreed. Of course, now the wife wants to run into town with me so I have to wait for her to get ready. So I figure I'll dump the Hydro fluid into the tank. I un-screw the filler cap and see something in the tank. I get a light and I see a bunch of paper, wrinkled up inside the hydro tank!!! What the hell is that I thought. I grabbed a little flexable grabber I have and fish some of the paper out. It was almost like a Chinese newspaper. A bunch of Chinese or Japanese symbols written all over it. Now I was really puzzled and frustrated. So instead of driving my car into town to get a filter, I had to take the truck and pull the splitter along to show the boys at Northern that some China-man ditched his newspaper in the tank after his lunch break. And to exchange for another splitter. When I finally got to the store I told the manager about the chinese newspaper. He said the splitters are American made, right here in Minnesota. "That would explain why all of the bolts are metric", I said. I fished out some of the paper for him and he was puzzled. I now said the ante, is a bit higher than the $25 dollar gift card. I claimed I now had to drive my truck into town instead of a car and my whole unit must be replaced! I told him I would settle for nothing less than the 4-way wedge wings. "We dont have any in stock", he said. Its no hurry, I said, you can have them shipped to my house. He said the best he can do is the $25 gift card. I said, I can always keep this unit, start it up back home and let the paper plug up all of the hydraulics. And then get a new one, but that would cost you guys money to service the machine in addition. He said I'm only a shift manager and I'll check with the store manager on the wedge wings. So wouldnt let him give me the $25 card, that way they still owe me something. I took home a new assembled unit, and they are suppose to get back to me tomorrow on the 4-way wings. Got home oiled it up and the honda started first pull. Split a few splits and put it in the shed, it was just about dark at that point. Overall, it seems like a good splitter and I will be happy with it. Its unfortunate, about the missing filter and crumpled up paper in the hydro tank. I dont like being a prick, but sometimes quality control just amazes me these days.

I attached a photo of my splitter along with my free husky saw. Hope it turns out it was pretty dark outside and its a inside photo.

Attachments

• lighter.JPG
    lighter.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,199
A little extra screwing around, but it sounds like a good deal to me.

I have a 20 sumthin year old northern star splitter that I bought 4-5 years back. It always did a hell of a job for me tiill I got stupid. I've loaned it out do friiends etc, but *I* ended up killinng it by leaving it out in the elements all summer. Gotta get it into the shop. I'm sure it will be back in business

HI Reaper,

Sounds fishy, that newspaper. Let alone the missing filter. Metric in Minnesota? I got to see that. I think it is a line and they are really made in China. Or at least the hydro tanks are and they are bolted on the splitters in Minnesota.

Hope it gets resolves and you get your 4 way.

Carpniels

Where is anything really made anymore? The term "made in" is becoming more and more ambiguous every day. It's probably assembled (or just crated for final shipping) in Minnesota of parts from every corner of the planet. It's getting tough to find products that you can track the origin of and pinpoint it to one country or another.

More and more these days, I look at where the money goes when you buy the product. Many Hondas may be "made" in the US, but when you buy one, the profit goes back over the pond.

Sorry, just rambling over lunch.....

With my unit, I was able to use some lame "cribbing", if you could call it that, and jacks to get the i-beam into its position horizontally. It looks like with the construction of yours, you would've had to lift it at least 6" higher if you went horizontally. That i-beam assembly sure was heavy.

Attachments

• PC040120.JPG
    PC040120.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,017
Not sure about some of the components, but mine was made in America. Gar-ow-n-teed. Right here in Illinois.
**edit** and there ain't no stinkin' metrics in it either.

Attachments

• logsplitter 002small.jpg
    logsplitter 002small.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 996
I have the same splitter as Velvetfoot (well, it looks the same) Harbor Freight, 8 horse B & S., 27 ton. Anyway, I had a horror story. the pump grenaded after 5 seconds of running. Call HF "We can send you a new pump, but they're on backorder until April 15" (This is in early January) I flipped out! I didn't know what to do...send the whole thing back? I called Barnes/Haldex & they were compassionate enough to step up & second-day air me a new pump. Oh yeah, April rolled around & I got a new one from HF.

Yes. It had a pretty bad cylinder leak, HF sent a new cylinder, and I kept on using it while waiting for it and it kinda healed itself, so I left it the way it was.
It's been pretty good.
I really love that motor. Operated it at < half speed.

I still like my HF splitter. I haven't had any problems since the initial deal. Hey Velvetfoot.....I used to run mine at partial throttle, but then some of the folks here told me that it's not a good idea. Running it at full throttle allows the hyd pump to circulater the fluid better, allowing the hydraulics to run cooler.

velvetfoot said:
Thanks. Next time I use it I'll use a thermometer to check that theory.

Was there a big difference??

There hasn't been a next time yet.
And there might not be for a while since I discovered delivered split firewood. :)

velvetfoot said:
There hasn't been a next time yet.
And there might not be for a while since I discovered delivered split firewood. :)

Ok. Thats what my neighbour does.

Man, you guys have some serious operations going. I just have this little hand operated unit. Might move up if my operations get bigger....................

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 257
WoodMann said:
Man, you guys have some serious operations going. I just have this little hand operated unit. Might move up if my operations get bigger....................

I feel the same way. Woodman will your splitter split a 16" oak round???

Thanks JW

Don't know how big I can go, johnny- but I have split some surprising stuff that was twice the height of the wedge. While not the fastest, it does save my arm...............

WoodMann said:
Don't know how big I can go, johnny- but I have split some surprising stuff that was twice the height of the wedge. While not the fastest, it does save my arm...............

It looks nice and portable. I bet you dont need to lift the round just put it on its side?

JW

That's right- just lay it in the tray and start compressing. It accepts logs up to 22"which is just about right for a large stove, but I'm limited to 18"ers, though I cut'em about 17". Like a squirrel, I'm geting ready for the comming winter..................

Status
Not open for further replies.