Finally broke down and ordered one.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

I have seen reviews on Amazon, and also from some forum members about these. Some say they're OK, others say their too noisy.

Well, after tripping over the small fan I have in the hallway to move the air around AGAIN, I decided I'd cave and try one. I got the brown colored one to sort of match the wood beams in my log home:

www.amazon.com/Suncourt-RR100-B-Ent...NDQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327256386&sr=8-1

Don't beat me up too bad people....who knows, I may hate it and ship it back. :-S

oldmountvernon said:
ya they suck man i tried 2 :p

Yeah, I remember you getting them. Only good thing is that where I'll put it is pretty far away from where anyone sits.....maybe I'll be able to tolerate it.....maybe not. %-P

I've got one, glad I didn't pay for it! It's ok but nothing to write home about!!

Yes it is noisey too! Can't hear the stove for the noise of the fan!!

Sharing from Iburncorn. A poster mentioned that he used an inexpensive Duracraft window fan mounted in a wall opening between his rooms. Worked so well he didn't replace it w/ the intended fan.

oldmountvernon said:
..... dont like the hassle of online retunring

Yeah, I hear ya....but they didn't have the brown one there. Oh well, we'll see.

I bought one at HD years ago. Used it for a week. Noisy and didn't move much air.

We used them up until this year. Added Broan and Tjernlund Aireshare through the wall fans. My favorite corner fan was a "Minuteman" model. Had a High and Low selection for speed and came with 2 mounting brackets. So you could use the fan in 2 different spaces. Also was reversible. Just put it in whatever direction you want (blowing hot air in, or out).

The Entreeair model is still hanging in our bedroom doorway. Although we dont use it, it still sits. It was Loud.... Yes, but it did work.

You can see the vent for the Aiireshare in the upper right corner, then the Broan to the left. I still use the Minuteman model for the basement door. To help pull hot air up...

They do work imacman. They probably dont pull the CFM's stated. But they are better than nothing. And the noise .... Well, it grows on you. Just like the stove noises. You get used to it. IMO

Attachments

• fan1.jpg
    fan1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 859
  • fans2.jpg
    fans2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 834
I have one of the Minuteman fans I have been using since 1985.

Thanks for the info & pics, guys. The main purpose is to circulate some air around the house.

The layout is such that there is a square "circle" of hallways and rooms. I use the floor fan to pull warm air out of the great room (where the stove is), and down the hallways. It finally exits through the kitchen right towards the stove. I have the fan on low, but even standing at the hallway entering the kitchen, I can feel the light breeze.....that's all I'm looking for.

Maybe I can rig up something to make the fan speed adjustable.

I have one of those. It makes my stove seem quiet. Then again its in the entry to the hallway which is right behind the couch where I sit most of the time.

I have a "Polar Breeze" tower fan I put at the entrance to the hallway. Very quiet and it works well.

Perhaps the entree air fan I got was just exceptionally noisy. I still use it occasionally, but only when the living room is empty.

Hello Imacman

Is it like mine? See Below.

My fan is hooked up to a Line Voltage Thermostat Cooling Contacts near the stove. So when the room temp near the stove goes above 74 degrees the fan comes on automatically. I am just lazy. :)
Also have a reostat on it so it does not run to fast and blow cold air. :)

Also have a manual switch on it so I can circulate air in the somertime. Not to lazy to run wires and mount switches. :)

Attachments

• PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 240sc.jpg
    PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 240sc.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 749
  • PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 050sc.jpg
    PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 050sc.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 730
imacman said:
Thanks for the info & pics, guys. The main purpose is to circulate some air around the house.

The layout is such that there is a square "circle" of hallways and rooms. I use the floor fan to pull warm air out of the great room (where the stove is), and down the hallways. It finally exits through the kitchen right towards the stove. I have the fan on low, but even standing at the hallway entering the kitchen, I can feel the light breeze.....that's all I'm looking for.

Maybe I can rig up something to make the fan speed adjustable.

any updates on how the fan works? i am interested and found some mixed reviews

I bought one of these and it worked pretty well. I don't notice the sound at all when I'm in the living room, when I'm not in the living room I can hear it. It doesn't bother me though. It does move air.

Just dont drop it. I dropped mine from a height of about three feet and it no longer works.

petemal said:
any updates on how the fan works? i am interested and found some mixed reviews

Haven't received it yet....updates will come after I get it.

imacman said:
I have seen reviews on Amazon, and also from some forum members about these. Some say they're OK, others say their too noisy.

Well, after tripping over the small fan I have in the hallway to move the air around AGAIN, I decided I'd cave and try one. I got the brown colored one to sort of match the wood beams in my log home:

www.amazon.com/Suncourt-RR100-B-Ent...NDQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327256386&sr=8-1

Don't beat me up too bad people....who knows, I may hate it and ship it back. :-S

Just go down to your nearest local airport and listen to a Cessna 172 start up. That pretty much what you'll be hearing from that fan.

CygnusX1 said:
imacman said:

Just go down to your nearest local airport and listen to a Cessna 172 start up. That pretty much what you'll be hearing from that fan.

That's the laugh I needed today.

For curiosity I held a sound meter next to mine a few minutes ago. 62-64db one foot away with nothing else running nearby. Sure seems louder than that. When both the fan and the stove are running, the fan will drown out the stove. The fan has a unique midrange pitch to it.

CygnusX1 said:

:grrr:

I bought 4 of them thinking it was a good thing. NOT! Noisy, way too noisy and not much air. Way better with the fan on the floor and the ceiling fans. now, all of them are somewhere out in the garage packed away in some storage tub. I opened the box on the second one thinking the first one was defective, but they are the same so I didn't even open the rest. Might try them in the solar space sometime. Moving air discourages mold and mildew on new seedlings.

i thought about getting one of those but it didnt look like it moved enough air. went with the SunCourt thru the wall fan. i have it in the wall between the livingroom and the master bedroom. the stove is in the livingroom. does a nice job of keeping the bedroom equal with the livingroom and while i can hear it, i actually like it if thats odd enough for ya. i cant sleep if its off anymore!

on really brutally cold nights, i set up the 20" box fan to blow on high into the livingroom at night only. pushes the hot air out into the rest of the house real nice.

Well, finally got the fan and had time today to get it mounted and turned on. I realized one thing....the inlet side of the fan is WAY quieter than the outlet side.

I mounted it in the beginning of a hallway to pull air from the stove room. When you're in that room, you can hardly hear the fan. But on the outlet side, it is pretty noisy.

My guess is that the plastic grate is causing turbulence in the air and hence, the noise. If I decide to keep it, I'm going to open the case and see if the fan is quieter by itself. If it is, I'll cut out the plastic on the output side.

Either some of you have bionic hearing or I'm going deaf. 2nd year using one of these and the noise doesn't bother us a bit. Have it drawing heat out of the stove room and often have a small floor fan pushing air into the stove room. Plus, the fan going on the insert. Don't you all have fans going on the pellet stoves in addition to the auger motors constantly working? I would think they make much more noise than that little doorway fan.

petemal said:
but the question is does it move the air........

All I wanted was a small circulation, and it seems to be doing just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.