Finally built my first wood rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy Billy

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Britton MI
My brother doesn't like me storing wood in the new pole barn. So he came up the weekend before last and helped build the first of our wood racks. 3-4 years ago we bought a bunch of 60" wide pallet racks. They turned out to to wide for us to use for very much. But it holds three rows of 16" logs fine.

The pallet racks were 20' tall so we cut them down to 7'4" on one side and 7' on the other and used the extra for cross members for the bottom.

226188_1771537063176_1681757389_1241828_4022464_n.jpg

Tommy has it on the side welding it up.

226188_1771537103177_1681757389_1241829_7720931_n.jpg

All welded up and ready for the floor and side boards

226188_1771537023175_1681757389_1241827_5275027_n.jpg

Got the roof on now too

226188_1771537143178_1681757389_1241830_7777624_n.jpg

And got some wood in

226188_1771537183179_1681757389_1241831_5440159_n.jpg

Its not done yet I am going to cut some 6x6 beams to bolt them to. And some hooks that I can slide 2x6s into along the sides. The plan is to split and stack in the rack and let dry. Once its dry I can pull the whole rack up to the trailer with a tractor. I have one just about done three more in the building stage at the farm and enough to make eight more at home. But I am going to give my best friend enough to build two.

Billy

Looks real good! One hell of a shop too! Cheers!

Thanks NH Wood

I thought we were going to build a bunch but it ended up taking a full day to build one. But will sure be a time saver when they are done. No more stacking in a drying pile unstacking moving and restacking.

Billy

That's going to be really nice being able to move the whole rack right up to the house.

It sure will BSpring

And with the way I keep changing things at the farm It will allow me put them in the best sunny windy spots to dry and easily move them if I decide they are in the way latter.

Billy

Do you have forks to move it?

Jay

The original plan was to make them 5' tall and use forks on the loader to move them around. Although we were concerned about getting head rash loading and unloading it by banging into the tin. But they way they were built it was a lot easier making them 7' tall as we would have had to completely cut them apart and totally rebuild them. Now if I tired to fork them it would totally block my vision trying to drive forward with them.

I wasn't able to put any wood in it until my brother and BIL left. They wouldn't let me as they were using it as there own portable deck and awning.

Billy

Thats nice, like mini sheds, nice job.

Nice work Billy.

Thanks Weather Guy

Can't wait to get the rest of them done.

Thanks Dennis

It was a team effort.

Billy

they were using it as there own portable deck and awning.

Sounds like there was some beer involved as well.

KC

Very Nice. . . . . . Holds LOTS of Wood too. Lightbulb?? Hmmm. Got an idea.. Thanks...

iskiatomic said:
they were using it as there own portable deck and awning.

Sounds like there was some beer involved as well.

KC

No doubt about that!!!

Billy

Thanks Dexter

Build on!!!!

Billy

Thats a great ideal and is very functional.

That's a killer set-up. You should patent it and sell those as kits. Fantastic.

Mini/movable/covered wood sheds.
Great idea.
1-1/2 cords each??
Very nice

Cowboy Billy said:
Now if I tired to fork them it would totally block my vision trying to drive forward with them.

Are you moving them with 3 pt forks then? I'd be all over that. My 3 pt is rated for 2 ton while my loader won't lift anywhere near that.

Nice work ! I've also been considering building a rack that I could move with the three point. I don't like to carry wood If I dont have to.

Thanks Guys

I was originally going to move them with forks. But now I am going to make some 6"x6"x10' long skids. So I can just skid the whole thing without lifting it. I'll have some 2x6's that will slip in the open sides so the wood won't fall out if it rocks while I am pulling it. I'll also get some 1/4" UHMW plastic to make it skid easier and keep the skids from touching the ground.

As far as building them for sale I don't have time. So feel free to copy it!

Billy

Skidding that beast loaded is going to be a rough ride. I would think a nice set of 3 pt pallet forks would make it easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.