Finally caught up with splitting.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
2012-04-18_15-36-28_600.jpg2012-04-18_15-37-01_785.jpg2012-04-18_15-37-45_584.jpg2012-04-18_15-39-27_671.jpg Hello everyone.

Well i finally got the last of my splitting stack finished today. Good thing cause i will be bringing in 2 more loads this friday that need split. I was hoping to be closer to 2 years ahead by now but with the mild winter and the ground never freezing put a damper on that plan. All of the wood in pics was cut starting Sept 2011. The sad part about it is the only oak in the stack is the 4 X 4 runners that its stacked on.

I will sure be glad when I can take a pic of my area cleaned up and say all done..

good job HJsimpson. Nice stacks. Nice day today too.

The sad part about it is the only oak in the stack is the 4 X 4 runners that its stacked on.
Very nice! :cool:
About six cords there? If not Oak, what kind of wood is in your stacks?

WOW :cool:

Sure looks sweet! One thing I was wondering is when it comes time to move this to be used how are you going to get to the rows in the middle(assuming you will be back filling as you go)? Doesnt appear that you can walk between the rows.

Thanks Woody,
There is a little over 8 cord. I cut at 20" long and there is 11 rows at 16' long by 4' high. Its about 75%ash and the rest is red elm,mulberry and honey locust.

Got wood,
Its not the perfect plan but by september i will start moving into wood shed which holds 10+ cords so that will free up quite a bit of room. I also have plenty of space so i will just start stacking in other area's until they are clear again.

Mecreature.
Beautiful day here and im not done yet just cleaned up for pics:)

What're you heating, your local WalMart?

Reactions: ScotO and Realstone
Good one Dan.
I heating a older some what drafty farmhouse. Its getting tighter as i go along but with a new furnace im not sure what my usage will be and this winter didnt help solve that question. The 30 year old Thermopride add on i replaced used about 7 cord a year so im still going off that usage for now.

Thanks Woody,
There is a little over 8 cord. I cut at 20" long and there is 11 rows at 16' long by 4' high. Its about 75%ash and the rest is red elm,mulberry and honey locust.

Well for sure you should not feel bad about no oak in the stacks with the wood you have! That is great wood you have.

I am wondering if you top cover the wood. Also, have you checked to see how much shrinkage you get stacking 4' high? We usually get 6" or more shrinkage when we stack 4 1/2' high. We also do similar to you. We move some into the barn in October for that winter's burning. The rest stays outside and covered with old galvanized roofing. Speaking of that, I have to do some fixing of the roofing. Those 50-60 mph winds we had moved some of the roofing so I'll have to do some adjusting.

Finally got the mess cleaned up at parents acreage 2 weeks ago. About 1/2 cord left from the huge pile of rounds of deadfall mostly Red/White Oak cut last October.Quick bit of raking & and with last weekend's rain looks ready to mow now.

Thats just AWESOME!
Nice pad to stack on, how'd you end up with a concrete pad that big & no roof ?
Great job & pictures.

you, sir, have firewood OCD.......:eek: Nice stacks, perfectly spaced and square and level and.....wow......;)

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
Does look a little like Dexters stacks, nice job, if all goes well I should have a similar pic up on here Sat night.

Thats just AWESOME!
Nice pad to stack on, how'd you end up with a concrete pad that big & no roof ?
Great job & pictures.

I was wondering the same thing. Looks like an old barn or out building sat there.
I see pads like that out around the farmers fields here and there. maybe not.

Where in the heck do you guys find the time to get it all done and perfectly stacked and....

I need to invent the 28 hour day, I guess.

I would never have the heart to disturb, let alone burn, those beautiful stacks....LOL

Reactions: Realstone
I'm not sure what the pad was used for but this place used to be a dairy farm quite a few years ago. As far as i can tell there was never a roof over it but it all leads up to the silage trough.

I'm not sure what the pad was used for but this place used to be a dairy farm quite a few years ago. As far as i can tell there was never a roof over it but it all leads up to the silage trough.

Old dairy farm. Cement around feeding areas because that is where the ground gets torn up the most from all the animals. In addition, have you ever seen the mess around the silo after filling time?! It really can make a wet sloppy mess. Enter cement.

Backwoods, that makes good sense all i know it makes a great spot to stack wood.
Also i used you advice on stacking a little over 4' high to allow for shrinkage. So far it has dropped down at least 6 inchs.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Backwoods, that makes good sense all i know it makes a great spot to stack wood.
Also i used you advice on stacking a little over 4' high to allow for shrinkage. So far it has dropped down at least 6 inchs.
There's shrinkage?

This pile was over a foot higher than the ends of the pallets a year ago, its almost shrunk a foot.

IMG_5064.JPG

weatherguy, what kind of wood is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.