Finally cut up the Oak I couldn't give away

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
Gave the MS290 a work out....tried giving this log away....no takers...either couldn't move it, or didn't have equipment to cut it, so I cut it and added to my pile to be split.................

002_zps0058fab5.jpg

006_zpsf0d4f752.jpg

a lot of work, but, for a load of the finest. worth it!

The big rounds do contain a lot of wood, but I feel like I worked pretty hard before I hear the "pang!" of the first split hitting the wheelbarrow. Are you going to have to wait a few years for that bad boy to season? I kind of hate splitting stuff that'll take time when I need stuff for December.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I had a huge red oak taken down at the end of my driveway a few weeks ago. The butt was 40 inches across and the biggest branch coming off the main trunk was around 20-22 inches in diameter. Last night I finally got the trunk section (around 15 feet from the butt) taken care of. After I got it cut into rounds most of it split pretty easy but man the couple rounds from the middle where that big branch came of were crazy. I ended up splitting them with the chainsaw last night. They would have made some beautiful lumber but I cut them into 4x8x17 all nighters. I think I got almost a cord just out of the trunk piece.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Nice stuff. Love oak. Maybe if you had a sign on it "free oak" you would have had a taker.

Status
Not open for further replies.