1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Finally did it (OAK)

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by BigJohnfromCT, Dec 23, 2013.

1. BigJohnfromCT

BigJohnfromCT Member

Loc:
    Danbury, CT
    I've been thinking, reading, planning, posting, procrastinating and any number of other non-action verbs you can think of to describe my immobility. Well this weekend, with temps forecast to be in the 50-60 degree range, I decided to pull the trigger. Lesson learned: put the OAK in DURING the installation NOT after. Took many hours because I had to remove a small window and make a panel to fill the space AND working behind an installed stove when you're a big guy just adds a level of complexity, aggravation and discomfort that is unnecessary. Bought the kit from the dealer. Decided it was easier that trying to fabricate something. Came out real nice and I can't wait to see if I can detect a difference.
    newbieinCT and Hoot23 like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ZBrooks

ZBrooks Member

Loc:
    Caldwell, Idaho
    Pictures or it never happened. :)
    iceguy4 and DevinM88 like this.
  3. newbieinCT

newbieinCT Member

Loc:
    Danbury, CT
    Thanks for this post ! Been learning about OAK and we are about to order a Harman from an anti-OAK dealer. I'm scared to ask for it LOL Can you post pictures of yours? would love to see what to expect.

We will definitely be getting it at the same time as installation...I'm just afraid to ask for it b/c the dealer already told me he doesn't like 'em :)
  4. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Burning Hunk

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    My dealer wasn't too keen on the idea either. I did it myself.

From my P43 manual: "
    Outside Air:

Hearth & Home Technologies strongly recommends

attaching outside air in all installations, especially

lower level and main floor locations.

That pretty well covers it!
  5. Marsha Cook

Marsha Cook New Member

Loc:
    NH
    I know this question will seem stupid to the majority of the members but I have to ask.

Where does the OAK pipe attach to the stove ( p61a)? None of the pictures show the back.

Thanks
    newbieinCT likes this.
  6. ZBrooks

ZBrooks Member

Loc:
    Caldwell, Idaho
    There are no stupid questions.

Here is a thread about it with pictures. If you are looking at the back of your stove, the outside air inlet is at 2 o'clock from the vent outlet.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/harman-oak-adapter-found-one-from-summit.112138/
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    newbieinCT likes this.
  7. boo boo

boo boo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    So. NH
    newbieinCT likes this.
  8. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    There's a tin knock-out there. Remove that and your ready to hook.
  9. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    My dealer didn't want to install the OAK, but I insisted, and am glad I did.
    Madcodger and newbieinCT like this.
  10. BigJohnfromCT

BigJohnfromCT Member

Loc:
    Danbury, CT
    Hope these pix showup.

John

Attached Files:

Madcodger, ZBrooks and newbieinCT like this.
  11. BigJohnfromCT

BigJohnfromCT Member

Loc:
    Danbury, CT
    Sorry folks. If you'd like to view the pix you'll have to double click on the file.
  12. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    There will be schematics in your manual that will detail location of intake air connection for your stove. Position may vary from model to model and/or stove manufacturer depending on their design. If you don't have a manual, you can usually find them on line...
  13. Fish On

Fish On Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    The other Cape..
    Hate to sound like the code police but is that table against your stove on the right, or is it moved for picture?
  14. saladdin

saladdin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Tennessee
    Did you take a window and create a "wall" for the oak to pass through?
  15. BigJohnfromCT

BigJohnfromCT Member

Loc:
    Danbury, CT
    Yes, it is right next to it. Maybe an inch or two of airspace but the stove does not get hot on the sides.
  16. newbieinCT

newbieinCT Member

Loc:
    Danbury, CT
    Thanks for posting! I'm calling the dealer for more details on how he expects to install the OAK today. It's good to see one installed and not overly obvious that it's there :)
  17. BigJohnfromCT

BigJohnfromCT Member

Loc:
    Danbury, CT
    I did. The entire wall is made up of large sliders on the top (I think they are 4' high and 6' wide) and a pair of jalousies under each window on the bottom. I took out the "workings" of one of the jalousies (6 screws) and replaced it with a piece of 5/8" exterior grade plywood stained to match the house. I added some gasket material to seal it against the existing aluminum window frame. On the inside, I cut a piece of 1" styro to fit the hole and mate up against the plywood and stained it also. In the Spring, at the end of the heating season, I'll pull it and reinstall the window. The room was originally just a blue stone patio. The previous owner enclosed it and installed electric baseboard with the intention of only using it as a 3 season room. My wife and I love it so much we installed the Quad in there.