Finally done for the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westkywood

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2009
Kentucky
Oh what a feeling. In the photo, the wood I cut/stacked this year isn't covered. I cover the top of my rows with rubber roofing after the first summer. Each row is a little over a cord. I have another 2 cords that are seasoned in another part of the yard. Think I've finally reached my comfort level. wood - 2012.jpg

Nice stash there, WKW! What's all in there? How much are you burning a year...I mean in a normal year. ;lol

9 cords c/s/s thats sweet. looks like you have enough room for another 9 cord. ya know what I say " can never have enough"

Nice stash there, WKW! What's all in there? How much are you burning a year...I mean in a normal year. ;lol

Thanks. All the new wood is Red Oak. Got Black Oak and Hickory. Also have about a cord of Red Maple. I've been burning a lot of Maple during the day while I'm at home. Burned hardwood at night and when leaving the house. I went through about 3 cords. I think with burning hard wood only, I'll go through between 2 to 2 1/2 cords.

Nice job getting ahead. I wish I only burnt 3 cord a year. It's a little harder to get that far ahead when you burn 8 cord a year.

Nice work - makes you warm just looking at it!

I have a question... you say each row is a little over a cord... those rows look to be 25 feet or longer each... soam I corect that that each would contain a full cord? Is that generally how cords are referred to on this forum, full rather than face?

Thanks, and again - looking good!

I have a question... you say each row is a little over a cord... those rows look to be 25 feet or longer each... soam I corect that that each would contain a full cord? Is that generally how cords are referred to on this forum, full rather than face?

Each row varies slightly. They are between 27 and 29 feet long. I call a cord as, 24 feet long, 4 feet high and cut in 16" lengths. A small portion of the wood is cut less than 16" and some of the rows are higher than 4 feet, so I know I have more than a cord in each row. If 24 feet equals a cord ( 16" lengths ), and the rows are at least 27 feet long ( minimum ) , thats 3 feet left over in each row which comes to 21 feet, which is actually almost another cord. Call it a face if ya want. If a full cord is 8' long, 4' high and cut into 4' pieces, then I'd say if you cut up the 4' pieces into 3 pieces, which makes 16", then stack it, you're going to end up with 3 rows, 8' long, 4 feet high which equals a 24' row.
Someone chime in if they disagree with my calculations.

Also have about a cord of Red Maple. I've been burning a lot of Maple during the day while I'm at home. Burned hardwood at night and when leaving the house
I got some Cherry and a little Red Maple last year...first time in any sizeable amount. I used to grab mostly Oak but I really liked having the medium-heat stuff for quick heat or small fires. I've got some Red to stack now and have a 36" x 11' Silver trunk to get.

AJS56 said:

Thanks, and again - looking good!​
Each row varies slightly. They are between 27 and 29 feet long. I call a cord as, 24 feet long, 4 feet high and cut in 16" lengths. A small portion of the wood is cut less than 16" and some of the rows are higher than 4 feet, so I know I have more than a cord in each row. If 24 feet equals a cord ( 16" lengths ), and the rows are at least 27 feet long ( minimum ) , thats 3 feet left over in each row which comes to 21 feet, which is actually almost another cord. Call it a face if ya want. If a full cord is 8' long, 4' high and cut into 4' pieces, then I'd say if you cut up the 4' pieces into 3 pieces, which makes 16", then stack it, you're going to end up with 3 rows, 8' long, 4 feet high which equals a 24' row.
Someone chime in if they disagree with my calculations.

Yes, that's exactly how I would figure a full cord also 4x4x8ft, with a face cord being 4x8ft by whatever length you cut it. so at 16" lengths, 4x24 ft does equal a full cord. I was just wondering, if anyone cares to say, if references to a "cord" as used on this forum are referring to a full or a face cord. Thanks again, and happy heating!

I got some Cherry and a little Red Maple last year...first time in any sizeable amount. I used to grab mostly Oak but I really liked having the medium-heat stuff for quick heat or small fires. I've got some Red to stack now and have a 36" x 11' Silver trunk to get.

Yeah I love having Maple around. I have about a half cord of Cherry for this coming season ( will be 2 yrs old ). Never burned it before.

AJ, welcome to the forum.

Yes, on hearth.com we tend to talk cords; not face cords but there are a few who still call a "face cord" a cord, which is wrong.

Reactions: woodsmaster
Oh what a feeling. In the photo, the wood I cut/stacked this year isn't covered. I cover the top of my rows with rubber roofing after the first summer. Each row is a little over a cord. I have another 2 cords that are seasoned in another part of the yard. Think I've finally reached my comfort level.

That has to give you a good feeling seeing that wood stacked up nicely. Looks like it is stacked next to the driveway so you get to enjoy looking at that for a long time! I really like those two rows on the right without the t-posts. I just think the stacks look much nicer without the posts.

Reactions: tfdchief
That has to give you a good feeling seeing that wood stacked up nicely. Looks like it is stacked next to the driveway so you get to enjoy looking at that for a long time! I really like those two rows on the right without the t-posts. I just think the stacks look much nicer without the posts.

Yes I look at it a lot . LOL.. I do worry a bit it being so close to the road. I prefer not to use the t-posts too. I didn't know about the other method until later. And of course, I learned that on here.

AJ, welcome to the forum.

Yes, on hearth.com we tend to talk cords; not face cords but there are a few who still call a "face cord" a cord, which is wrong.

Thanks for the clarification, Dennis. This is a great forum and I'm really enjoying it and learning a lot!

Beats me! I have 3.5 cords of white ash put up and about 2 cords of red oak left to split and stack. Stacking wood in 80 degree weather hasn't been a bit of fun. I'll be finished next week if I can get enough time away from the lawn mower.

westkywood, nice job on your stacks.
zap

Beats me! I have 3.5 cords of white ash put up and about 2 cords of red oak left to split and stack. Stacking wood in 80 degree weather hasn't been a bit of fun. I'll be finished next week if I can get enough time away from the lawn mower.

I'm with ya on the heat thing. I prefer to do all my wood during the winter months but sometimes ya just gotta do it when ya can.

Like Sav would say, it's just like money in the bank.
zap

Reactions: tfdchief
We too do the cutting during the winter months. With the weather we've had I should have the splitting done but other things have taken my time so the splitting still waits.

Status
Not open for further replies.