Finally done stacking the knarlywood...on to the good stuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swagler85

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2012
NE Ohio
seansellsohio.com
Well finally finished stacking the silver maples I took down about a month ago. Ended up getting 2 2/3 cords out of the two maples. (gave the 2/3 to a friend who has an open fireplace, 4 kids no time to cut) Man that stuff sucks to split, had to noodle the last few rounds just to split it. Moved on to the red oak I hauled in that a storm took out. Swung the fiskars at a few rounds and got a huge smile on my face, finally some easy splitting wood. Looks like I will get around 4-5 cord out of it.

Attachments

• 2012-06-20 07.24.42 (Medium).jpg
    2012-06-20 07.24.42 (Medium).jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 2012-06-20 07.24.48 (Medium).jpg
    2012-06-20 07.24.48 (Medium).jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 2012-06-20 07.25.34 (Medium).jpg
    2012-06-20 07.25.34 (Medium).jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 2012-06-20 07.25.49 (Medium).jpg
    2012-06-20 07.25.49 (Medium).jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 168
Great looking stacks!!!

Jealous guy here, looking at that Red Oak. Lucky Dog ;)

Nice work swagler85, last OAK I saw was on the back or bottom of the woodstove.==c

zap

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Good job- those stacks look great. The last silver maple we got was like that. Every round more than 11" took
1 or 2 wedges to bust it. The knuckles- forget about splitting them.. just grab the saw for some noodling. Splitting red oak just confirms that you're doing it right... it's the s.maple that's wrong!

Good lookin stacks Swag but you and Dexter up here in my part of the Buckeye state are better men than I if you are workin on wood in this weather.

Zap I've heard you say before that you wish you had some oak on your little piece of heaven but that beech you got is just about as good in my book.

Great looking stacks. Working in the heat, you deserve a break ;)
Nice pile of oak to get S&S. (jealous here)
red oak is awesome firewood, if 3+ years seasoned (so I'm told )
Zap & I may never know :)

PS: Wish you'd get that truck unstuck in your avatar LOL :)

Reactions: zap and Realstone
Maple takes some work without hydraulics, thats some good work you put in. You should breeze through the oak now.

Good lookin stacks Swag but you and Dexter up here in my part of the Buckeye state are better men than I if you are workin on wood in this weather.

Zap I've heard you say before that you wish you had some oak on your little piece of heaven but that beech you got is just about as good in my book.

I actually prefer to do it in the heat..... Believe it or not. ;)

I actually prefer to do it in the heat..... Believe it or not. ;)

There are a couple things I prefer to do in the heat but putting up wood is not one of them. ;)

Reactions: AJS56
There are a couple things I prefer to do in the heat but putting up wood is not one of them. ;)

Just went for a good cut today....... All dead ash along the trails, thats fallen recently.

I gave the whole load to my Uncle..... (always unprepared :()

He probably has over a cord left from last yr, but it aint enough. I'm still gonna sell a bit to him.

With the heat I work in all day, I dont really mind the heat... But the Cold.... I cant stand. I gotta have it warm ;)

2012-08-04_18-42-03_859.jpg 2012-08-04_18-41-44_937.jpg

Very nice load there

Made some more progress on the oak yesterday. Had a few hours to work and got most of the limbs bucked, have a few of those left then on to the trunk. I would say half of the tree is bucked now. Might be more wood here than I thought
2012-06-21 21.47.44 (Medium).jpg2012-06-21 21.47.59 (Medium).jpg

Attachments

• 2012-06-21 21.48.12 (Medium).jpg
    2012-06-21 21.48.12 (Medium).jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Swagler, the stacks look neat and the splits don't look all too knarly, but I know all to well that the pics don't do it justice. Maple can be tough to split. Can't imagine splitting that by hand.
*edit* Just saw your recent pics. Nice mess of oak. Happy swinging :)

Made some more progress on the oak yesterday. Had a few hours to work and got most of the limbs bucked, have a few of those left then on to the trunk. I would say half of the tree is bucked now. Might be more wood here than I thought
I like that mess swags, if it's more oak than you need I know a bogy who will trade some Salmon steaks. ::P
zap

Swags, lookin good. Yer gonna be high on the hog by fall if you keep that pace up.

Went out to an archery 3D shoot today and halfways through the shoot saw an oak on its side about a 40 in base on it. Had to stop and look for a while, then remembered the big one in my yard that I'm still not done with. Might have to ask if I can go back this winter to help them clean up

I like that mess swags, if it's more oak than you need I know a bogy who will trade some Salmon steaks. ::P
zap

Hum... I'm wondering. If I were to ship him a cord of oak and ask only for 10 pounds of salmon if he'd bite? If course he has to pay shipping costs for both. ;)

Hum... I'm wondering. If I were to ship him a cord of oak and ask only for 10 pounds of salmon if he'd bite? If course he has to pay shipping costs for both. ;)

Just tell him like the infomercials.......just a small fee to cover shipping and handling. You could throw in not 1, not 2, but 3 ash spilts.

Status
Not open for further replies.