Finally finished cutting, splitting, moving and restacking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Been hard at work past 4 weeks or so cutting, hauling, moving around 4 cord of outside stacks into the shelter then stacking 6-7 more cords outside the shelter. Been a long road but I feel great about it.. Of course pics or it never happened ;)

Ray

Attachments

• IMG_4685 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4685 (Large).JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_4686 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4686 (Large).JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4687 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4687 (Large).JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_4688 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4688 (Large).JPG
    352 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4690 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4690 (Large).JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_4691 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4691 (Large).JPG
    377.3 KB · Views: 249
Looking real good Ray - a lot of work for sure - grab a beer and go hang out by the stacks - you earned it! Cheers!

Reactions: raybonz
Looking real good Ray - a lot of work for sure - grab a beer and go hang out by the stacks - you earned it! Cheers!
Thanx NH I did just that! As crazy as it sounds I like stacking wood.. I stacked wood after work for 2 hrs. pretty much daily and then LOTS on the weekends..

Ray

Reactions: OldLumberKid
That's impressive, Ray! :cool:
Looks like some White Ash there, then what else you got? What is the stuff with the light and dark splotchy bark?

That's impressive, Ray! :cool:
Looks like some White Ash there, then what else you got? What is the stuff with the light and dark splotchy bark?
Thanx Woody! What you see there is bark-free locust, red oak, ash, cherry.. Which pic are you seeing the dark splotchy bark?

Ray

It takes a lot of work to get to that point. I stack mine the same way, Two rows to a pallet with a walk way in between pallet.IMG_20130413_145922.jpg

I feel great about it.

AWESOME!
The great feeling you get when you go for a stroll by the wood stacks says it all ;)

You use a Laser to get them so straight ?

If you're done, withdraws kick in . LOL :)

Reactions: OldLumberKid
AWESOME!
The great feeling you get when you go for a stroll by the wood stacks says it all ;)

You use a Laser to get them so straight ?

If you're done, withdraws kick in . LOL :)
I have seen much straighter stacks here. My goal is that the stacks don't fall down and so far have withstood a blizzard and hurricane plus numerous Noreaster's..

Ray

My goal is that the stacks don't fall down and so far have withstood a blizzard and hurricane plus numerous Noreaster's

Tough stable stacks ;)
Great to look at too :)

Looks really nice Ray. You earned a beer or three.

Where do you get your wood Ray? I love that shed, hope some day to have a similar one.

Lots of hard work there. Nice job

Where do you get your wood Ray? I love that shed, hope some day to have a similar one.
I harvested 3 cords of oak and cherry near and here.. Bought 3 cords C\S\D.. Have a good wood guy and managed to get 2+ bark free cords of dry locust plus ash.. Quite a few people have gotten wood from him and are happy with it.. Gotta stick with a good wood guy!

Ray

Nice work Ray, how close was the fire to your wood?

Thanks Zap not close at all..

Ray

Reactions: zap
That's just darn pretty Ray. I'm usually close to that point by this time of year but have lots to split. Doesn't help that I've cut twice as much the last 2 winters than I ever had before. I don't have many addictions but this one's major.

My family was making fun of me again when I was looking at your work, looks good.

My family was making fun of me again when I was looking at your work, looks good.
I hear ya Joey my wife thinks I'm nuts too lol.. They love it when it's 75 here and the snow is blowing! ;) Who is crazy then?

Ray

Ray, looks good.
How did you install the drip edge on the front of your shed? I.e. I am ok with the sides (over felt) and rear (under felt), but I am confused on how to install the drip edge on the front? Do I install over the felt and over a first layer of shingle, and then add a 2nd shingle on top? (Haven't been able to find how to install when bothe the front and back are open)

I think I installed the drip edge 1st.
Ray

Reactions: daveswoodhauler
I think its a good goal to have all your next winters wood all set at this time. My sister and I are debating the pros and cons of moving piles around. If you have a shed structure or permanent cover theres no way around the rotation. But this is a good timeframe for myself to be wrapping it up. May 3rd is usually apple blossom full throttle. I guess by the time you quit using the woodstove. Also to correspond with grass cutting.
Ray, are you ahead of things? at this time or is this your usual timeframe?

Processing wood even if its only stacking is labor intensive. Like picking strawberries, theres no machine that will do it for you. Every split in all those piles are moved one at a time, like bricks. Fruits of industriousness.
I know one thing, stacking is good for the waistline. And the bat wings. lol. Not chicken wings.
Good work there in those pics Ray. I know how much work is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.