Finally finished log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
Tried this splitter out today and it runs great.
Pretty quick too about 16 second cycle time.

Attachments

• DSCN4187.jpg
    DSCN4187.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 840
  • DSCN4188.jpg
    DSCN4188.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 969
  • DSCN4190.jpg
    DSCN4190.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 827
  • DSCN4189.jpg
    DSCN4189.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 715
bfunk13 said:
Tried this splitter out today and it runs great.
Pretty quick too about 16 second cycle time.
Good enough for what i do.

bfunk13 it looks great, nice job. How many tons?

Zap

Thanks!

hmm , not really sure. 200cc engine, 13.6 gpm pump, 4x24 cylinder.

Prolly one of the best homemade splitters I've ever seen. And I've seen more than a few after trolling Craigslist for seven months looking for one. Honest Abe, what did that rig cost? Looks like you used top-qualit components, from a Honda GX to a pusher that straddles the beam. Nice table too!

Do you have to drain the tank to change the filter?

richg said:
Prolly one of the best homemade splitters I've ever seen. And I've seen more than a few after trolling Craigslist for seven months looking for one. Honest Abe, what did that rig cost? Looks like you used top-qualit components, from a Honda GX to a pusher that straddles the beam. Nice table too!

Hey thanks for the kind words!
Much appreciated.
I had all the steel and axles already. A friend had the wheels and tires.
Total cost out of pocket $1200?? maybe $1300. I did go with the 200cc Honda GX, 13.6 gpm pump and 18-20 gallon tank.
I figured this all out before building and there really is little to no savings building your own. But, i was able to upgrade a bit for
the cost of a "consumer" model. And build it to fit what i do. IMHO some of the big box models are pretty cheap, plasticky and under built.
I kicked around building vs. buying for some time, in the end i am glad i did this project.

Holy catfish, that thing is awesome! Beautiful job. You'll have fun playing with that sweetie. ;-)

What kind/color of paint did you use? I'm building a copy of the Logrite Buck Arch and that looks just like "Logrite Blue" to me. I'd love to get it as close looking to the original as possible.

DanCorcoran said:

I may have to drain 5 gallons or so as it sits, i can lift the front with the skid steer and shouldn't have to drain at all.
If not its not a biggie for me. I kept the buckets that the fluid came in.
I did plan on adding a valve between the tank and filter but never did.

Battenkiller said:
Holy catfish, that thing is awesome! Beautiful job. You'll have fun playing with that sweetie. ;-)

What kind/color of paint did you use? I'm building a copy of the Logrite Buck Arch and that looks just like "Logrite Blue" to me. I'd love to get it as close looking to the original as possible.

Thanks buddy!
Uhmm , Krylon blue. I was planning on a darker blue but our lame hardware store only had one can of the dark. So i went with this.

How big are the wheels? Did you buy them new? If so, from where and how much? I haven't figured out the wheel thing yet, or how to attach them. The originals have 12" wheels and 20.5" tires and 4-lug hubs on them. I priced them out and they were more than I wanted to spend. I have some used small trailer wheels, but they are only 16" in diameter, and I think it will roll a lot better with 20" tires when I'm pulling the big logs.

Battenkiller said:
How big are the wheels? Did you buy them new? If so, from where and how much? I haven't figured out the wheel thing yet, or how to attach them. The originals have 12" wheels and 20.5" tires and 4-lug hubs on them. I priced them out and they were more than I wanted to spend. I have some used small trailer wheels, but they are only 16" in diameter, and I think it will roll a lot better with 20" tires when I'm pulling the big logs.

The axle is a trailer house axle cut down to size.
The wheels and tires are 14.5 and only fit the trailer house style hubs.
My Dad had the axle and the wheels and tires are pretty easy to find and about $20 each wheel with tire.
Any good junk guy should have both axle and wheels.

A PAINTED HOME MADE LOG SPLITTER :bug:

Great job. Look real nice..
Unique tongue design, I like it.

If you ever change the filter:
Just stand it up on it's end. Looks like it should tip up pretty easy.

Again, great job.

bfunk13 said:
DanCorcoran said:

I may have to drain 5 gallons or so as it sits, i can lift the front with the skid steer and shouldn't have to drain at all.
If not its not a biggie for me. I kept the buckets that the fluid came in.
I did plan on adding a valve between the tank and filter but never did.

Good thinking on lifting the front end...easy fix.

We finished filling the woodshed today, about 12 full cord all felled, skidded, bucked, split and stacked. My back would LOVE to have that I-beam sitting up nice and high. I know you mentioned you are a big guy....and as I sit here now with the left side of my back in a big knot....it would be oh so nice to have my beam up that high! Of course, picking up the soaking wet 28" diameter 22" long red oak trunk just that much higher might wreck something else!

Nice job!

thats one nice machine. Ok how long did it take you to construct your new splitter? Your hard work Labor = "PRICELESS".

That Honda pro motor is awesome,,,will last a long long time.....great work

That is a fantastic looking rig! Great job! One thing I noticed I hope doesn't give you trouble down the road is the lack of flooded suction with the pump being located higher than the fluid level. I didn't notice it in the earlier build pics but in the finished unit from the rear its obvious. Some mfg specs say flooded suction.

wkpoor said:
That is a fantastic looking rig! Great job! One thing I noticed I hope doesn't give you trouble down the road is the lack of flooded suction with the pump being located higher than the fluid level. I didn't notice it in the earlier build pics but in the finished unit from the rear its obvious. Some mfg specs say flooded suction.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Wkpoor, it fired right up and started splitting wood with no troubles.
I have seen them both ways. Hopefully it will not cause any problems down the road.
I do have the tank fairly full so there may be a few inches of "pull" before it is primed.
Worst case i can move the engine down a bit.

nice job, turned out great.

we also love the red, white and blue...good reminder on memorial day.

Status
Not open for further replies.