Finally finished my first holz

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
Woohoo!

ix feet x Six feet. Sits on 4 pallets. Sugar maple, elm, and whatever else I could scrounge.

Attachments

• holz1.jpg
    holz1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 553
Looking good! :coolsmile: A great way to conserve space.

Very good for 1st attmpt. Hope your puppy isn't too tired.

It looks like crap ya slackah.
Look at the dog- "Do I have to sleep in that thing?"

I did one of those- I calc'd one cord of red oak- way out back. Dumb maneuver- had to shlepp wood 150 yards through the snow. It wasn't the fault of the stack design- it was the stacker

Say Hi to V for me

Very nice stack you did. I am thinking of trying one of these later this year since you don't need any posts for support at each end.

Thanks.

Wasn't that hard to do. Just had to make sure that I had a decent foundation. The ground in that part of the yard is uneven, so I had to heavily shim some of the pallets.

I have a double row wood pile that holds a cord. Its rate of equilibrium decay makes me believe half of it will collapse in 2 months. I think I'll rebuild it as a holz.

I'm goona do this with my latest white oak find. How long do you all spend doing this? Does it take much longer than simply stacking in rows?

Mike from Athens said:
I'm goona do this with my latest white oak find. How long do you all spend doing this? Does it take much longer than simply stacking in rows?

About 3.14159 times as long :lol:

It takes a little more time (not that much), as you have to pay more attention to leveling rows. The inner ends of the pieces overlap, so you need cross pieces every few levels to even it out some. I had heard that having the middle higher helps- some people like "bark up" because they feel that it sheds rain better (like a sloped circular roof).

I did one in my driveway as well last year- more attractive, IMO, than my squared piles (even with my carefully boxed ends :)

I can't give you how long it took to build a 6x6 structure because I didn't have 1 or 2 cords that I split all at once. I get wood from several sources, some reliable, some not.

I did build my middle higher so that I could slope the roof. It's uneven, however.

Working on it ~3 times a week, it took me about 1 month . . . finished it 2 days ago.

myzamboni said:
Mike from Athens said:

About 3.14159 times as long :lol:

...ya just made SubWay sannich come out my nose holes....

Wow 8ft across! Nice job Clownfish...it almost looks too good to tear apart next fall. But I know you'll make the sacrifice.

I just finished my first last night. Had to restack once, as it collapsed, but it was my fault in not keeping the sides straight. I went 8 ft wide and 7 ft hight, I did not slope my top, left it open. I worked on it for about 2 weeks off and on, all told I spent maybe 6-8 hours to complete, not counting my restacking, all my wood was already split and next to the site. The middle was the hardest as you got higher, had to use a ladder. Frees up a lot of space, and does take more thinking than row stacking and a bit more time, but I am short on space so it works for me.

myzamboni, so what your saying is its not easy as pie?!

not as easy as pi π ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.