Finally fired up the Napoleon (with pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhof0306

Aug 1, 2008
Southwest NH
Everything has gone extremely well. I've got good draft, good dry wood, it's all good. I started small on Thursday night, just kindling. Fired it up and let it go out. Last night, same thing but added a couple small splits. Today, I'm experimenting with the draft to get a feel for what it takes to get the stove up to temperature - I'm shooting for 500 degrees on the stovetop. I'll admit I'm a bit shy about stoking it up big until I get a good feel for how the stove operates. That and it's pretty thick in here with the stink de burning chemical factory (that gave me a good laugh yesterday!). My lady keeps saying, "so, that smell will go away eventually, right?". I just smile and nod. :cheese:

I did go outside to check for smoke. All I see is heat waves at the top of the stack. I like that. I live in a suburban neighborhood. So far, I have enjoyed the good will of my neighbors. Don't want to mess that up.

Pics when the camera has charged up.

:coolsmile:

Looking forward to seeing the shots. I'm glad to hear all went well. You'll find that Napoleon is happy to go to 700 if you let it. I'd take it up to 650 to bake that paint in and to get used to the real heat this stove can kick out. Open the windows and it should be good to go.

I did my first overnight burn last night. I didn't stuff it to the gills, but pretty full. I did a North/South load to see what would be left in the morning. I came down to a nice bed of hot coals. Raked it forward (like in the video) and loaded it east/west. Started right up. It's coming up to temp now. Very nice.

question for the forum - when you're burning 24/7, how do you remove ashes? Do you just scoop some of it out, grabbing a few hot coals in the process? I can't imagine letting the fire go out when it's really cold. What say ye?

Here's the stove:

Attachments

• Napoleon2.jpg
    Napoleon2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 885
yep in the morning when you rake your coals. I try to get all the good coals to one side shovel the other side. Then i move the coals to the side i just shoveled and shovel out the last side. rake the coals to the front in front of the air inlet toss in more wood and let her rip.

Nice looking stove!The house should be toasty warm this winter without a large monthly energy bill. :coolsmile:

It does look nice in that setting. Do the french doors still operate and clear the hearth? I was wondering if the house would heat more evenly with them open.

Unfortunately, the french doors don't quite clear the hearth. I had originally planned to swap the doors so they open out to the other room, but they're pre-hung and I don't think there's any chance I could get them to hang right, so, once it gets to be winter, we'll take the doors off for the heating season.

The spot we put the stove in is not the ideal place, but it was the best place - really the only place - to locate the chimney. Ultimately, with the doors removed, it is an excellent place for a heater, but still not the best place for the hearth.

I'm going to get a heat shield for the stove pipe. The clearance is right, but that all gets awfully hot. I can hold my hand there, but I just think I'll be more comfortable with the heat shield.

Nice stove and a nice hearth. Enjoy!

Nice install.

The heat shield will help a lot. I have one on my set up and was happy with the heat reduction on the wall behind the stove.

I,ve got the same stove arriving on thursday. I already cut out my carpet and am in the process of building
my hearth, I,ve allowed for 6'' to the back of the stove and 18''in front the of the door. Was your heat from
the stove itself or single wall pipe? Because my plans were to use double wall pipe.

I just finished my install of a Napoleon 1400PL last week. I have had two overnight fires and have been very VERY impressed when I wake up in the morning and my 100 year old poorly insulted house house is 72 degrees on the first floor and 68 on the second. My question is...how far are you from the back wall. The manual says 12" i am at 11" on mine. I think I need a stove board back there. :mad:

The stovepipe is 18", the stove itself is a bit beyond 12". Behind the stove it's really not that hot, due to the heat sheild. It's above the stove that has me bugged. I'm sure it's fine, but I'll sleep better with the heat shield.

I agree, the top is really hot. :bug: Now by a heat sheild do you mean above the stove. I have a thinbal just like yours but its only 18" above the stove. Is that a problem? I may have to post that question to the gang.

Tgun, is there a ceiling only 18" above the stove? If yes, that is a problem.

No No, I have 12" + ceilings,I have plenty of room. I was just wondering if the thimbal would get to hot being so close to the top of the stove.

12" ceilings are even worse, how did you get the stove in there :)? J/K. Sounds like you are fine.

That looks great, but do you have to cross over the hearth to ue those doors, or is there another entrance to that room? Sounds like this stove will work nicely for your house! Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.