Finally fixing the M55 installation and some questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
So I am redoing my M55 FS install which was done badly by the installers last year, using Duravent Pellet Pro. Here are some pictures so far:

anyway, as you can see it is not pretty. I disconnected the flange and noticed the fiber gasket compressed on one side and the other side thicker with soot marks, making me think some leaking there.

Attachments

• pub 2.jpg
    pub 2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 638
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 629
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 612
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 642
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 635
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 621
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 622
Also, those extra long screws they use, bent the inner pipe, which leaked.

My question is, in the computer board picture, which exactly are the jumpers for the thermostat connection. the manual is not that good in explaining this. i assume the little blue box with the wire crossing in between.

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 579
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 569
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 615
vinny11950 said:
.....i assume the little blue box with the wire crossing in between.

Yes, that's it. Remove the jumper, and connect wires from stat there.

Thanks, Imacman!

Could they have made it any harder and smaller!@#$%%

On a serious note, the connection flange is bent. So I either very skillfully bend it back flat, or stop my install and buy the replacement part from the dealer. Should have thought of that and ordered the part just in case. Electric heat here I come!

if they botched your install that bad they should give you the part for free

Kykel, thanks for discovering the connection flange issue at the stove exhaust pipe. I also see some ash there. But I am also questioning how tight the one bolt system is. As you can see in the picture above, the gasket was leaking some. And now that I have it off, when I fit it, it seems like it should be tighter.. Did you experience the same?

kykel said:
if they botched your install that bad they should give you the part for free

They should do more than pay for the part! They should refund your money for installation. I would take them to small claims court AND report them to the BBB. The other people on LI should know not to use these jerks.

it was a bad episode, however i did claim my install money back from the credit company, and i really don't want to keep any one from making a living long term. hopefully they learned and do things better. i just wish installer were more upfront with people. i have been at this all they, and i am still not finished fixing holes in the walls and changing the set up for ICC pellet pipe from Duravent. it is not easy, and i now understand how tough installs are, so my hats off to the good installers out there - where ever they are (at hearth.com guaranteed)

Well I hope you got the money back from the credit card company. Lets hope they learned from their mistakes. Sorry you had to go thru this. Hope all works well after you put it all back together...

Four 12 hour days fumbling, cutting walls and studs, and moving pellet stove here and there.

Plaster, spackle, dust and paint all around.

Cleaning behind the stove, getting to the dust bunnies and the convection motor.

Finally finished installing the ICC excel pellet pipe at 1:30 am! Neighbors must have loved listening to the drill.

Sliding the ICC pipes together - so easily, so tightly.

Priceless.

ps: I would have snapped pictures, but i just wanted to be done with the thing.

And to everyone here, especially the ones who bothered to post and follow along, a Big Thank You.

vinny11950 said:
Four 12 hour days fumbling, cutting walls and studs, and moving pellet stove here and there.

Plaster, spackle, dust and paint all around.

Cleaning behind the stove, getting to the dust bunnies and the convection motor.

Finally finished installing the ICC excel pellet pipe at 1:30 am! Neighbors must have loved listening to the drill.

Sliding the ICC pipes together - so easily, so tightly.

Priceless.

ps: I would have snapped pictures, but i just wanted to be done with the thing.

Have you fired it up? All working well now? I know today is pretty warm out though....

I did last night. I had preassembled and connected the stove adapter to the stove Exhaust tube so I just had to connect the pellet pipe to the adapter. No silicone sealing and drying time because the ICC gaskets really do work!!!!

My parents are spoiled. They couldn't run the stove for a week and the house was around 64 degrees and you would have thought they were freezing. They are now used to 74 degrees plus.

vinny11950 said:
I did last night. I had preassembled and connected the stove adapter to the stove Exhaust tube so I just had to connect the pellet pipe to the adapter. No silicone sealing and drying time because the ICC gaskets really do work!!!!

My parents are spoiled. They couldn't run the stove for a week and the house was around 64 degrees and you would have thought they were freezing. They are now used to 74 degrees plus.

GREAT!!

j-takeman said:
vinny, Got a picture of the final for us? And hows it working for you??

I wish was installed already! Pellets coming on Tuesday. Stove install on the 28th..

JT, i have to say I am a bit intimidated at the thought of exposing my poor carpentry skills to the forum. but I will when I go back there later this week.

the pipes are looking real nice. it feels like ICC uses a thicker metal than Duravent. And joining them together was quick and simple. I made sure I framed the thimble so the thimble screws are not just floating in drywall. But when I fired it up last night i was good.

My biggest fear with the Duravent was that I had put so much tape and silicone that I could never have disconnect the stove from the pipe to do repair work. And I am sure it would have happened on the cooldest stretch in winter.

Cuzvin, what pellets did you end up buying? How many tons? and where are you storing them? and, more importantly, are you ready to move them? spinach helps, i heard.

vinny11950 said:
JT, i have to say I am a bit intimidated at the thought of exposing my poor carpentry skills to the forum. but I will when I go back there later this week......

That's why they invented photoshop! ;-)

vinny11950 said:
JT, i have to say I am a bit intimidated at the thought of exposing my poor carpentry skills to the forum. but I will when I go back there later this week.

the pipes are looking real nice. it feels like ICC uses a thicker metal than Duravent. And joining them together was quick and simple. I made sure I framed the thimble so the thimble screws are not just floating in drywall. But when I fired it up last night i was good.

My biggest fear with the Duravent was that I had put so much tape and silicone that I could never have disconnect the stove from the pipe to do repair work. And I am sure it would have happened on the cooldest stretch in winter.

Cuzvin, what pellets did you end up buying? How many tons? and where are you storing them? and, more importantly, are you ready to move them? spinach helps, i heard.

I got 1.3 tons of Cleanfire Hardwood and 1.3 tons of Homestead from woodpellets.com. Im going to have them put them in my garage and then we will store them in the basement. I am not looking forward to moving them down there. Next house.. 3 car garage..

Cuzvin,

Basement storage,.... brave man. I often wonder how basement storers do it. Can't see myself doing that, walking the bags up and down. I have a shed in the backyard that holds them all. Still, the 75 foot run with my garden cart is a groan. but 3.5 tons takes me a about 3 hours to move, with breaks and all.

Some members have pellet sheds on the drive ways where the fork lift just rolls the entire pallet into the shed. Real nice. I don't have the room on my house, but even if i did, i doubt the town would allow such a shed in the front.

vinny11950 said:
Cuzvin,

Basement storage,.... brave man. I often wonder how basement storers do it. Can't see myself doing that, walking the bags up and down. I have a shed in the backyard that holds them all. Still, the 75 foot run with my garden cart is a groan. but 3.5 tons takes me a about 3 hours to move, with breaks and all.

Some members have pellet sheds on the drive ways where the fork lift just rolls the entire pallet into the shed. Real nice. I don't have the room on my house, but even if i did, i doubt the town would allow such a shed in the front.

Been storing my cache in the basement for years. No issues here! I'd only worry if there was a flood!

vinny11950 said:
Cuzvin,

What we plan top do is to use the riding mower with the cart to carry them to the basement steps. Then I found a plastic pool slide in the neighbors trash today. I am hoping to lay the slide on the steps and slide the bags down to the other person..Hope it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.