Finally fixing the M55 installation and some questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
flynfrfun said:
Here is the simple and cheap diverter I made. It is cut out of a 26 gauge sheet I got from HD. Cut it in a square and then bend it in the shape of the drop chute. I then bend the left side vertical to deflect some of the pellets to the right. That is all that is needed. You can adjust the amount of deflection to get the fire much more even. If you go too far it will kick some pellets out of the burn pot. Works great. To keep it from sliding down, I open up the "U" shape that goes behind the liner. You can then bend it to get it to slide in behind the liner, but it will spring back out enough so that it won't fall down. It may look a little rough, but it works so I haven't tried making a new one a little nicer. Besides you can barely see it when the stove is running anyways.

I like the diverter. Simple, easy, cheap and durable. Good idea, Fly. I was a little worried that you would damage the stove somehow if you made some radical change, like drilling holes and such. But the thing is so simple it really does not affect the structure of the stove whatsoever.

You should patent the little thing!!!!

Wachusett said:
j-takeman said:
M55 treating you well so far?

Real well, heating 2,400 s.f first floor 68-70. Second floor bedrooms 63-65. Moving air is the challenge.
A little more convection output would be nice, but I don't want to jump on the new blower and sacrifice the quietness of the stock blower.
Haven't had any overheat issues, (knock on wood) I think thats a benefit of the FS Steel.

No matter what pellet I burn, I always get carbon on the liner. It runs the length of the liner, up the sides, but the air holes are never blocked. Though I do scrape it every week, sometimes every two weeks when I am lazy.

vinny11950 said:
flynfrfun said:
Here is the simple and cheap diverter I made. It is cut out of a 26 gauge sheet I got from HD. Cut it in a square and then bend it in the shape of the drop chute. I then bend the left side vertical to deflect some of the pellets to the right. That is all that is needed. You can adjust the amount of deflection to get the fire much more even. If you go too far it will kick some pellets out of the burn pot. Works great. To keep it from sliding down, I open up the "U" shape that goes behind the liner. You can then bend it to get it to slide in behind the liner, but it will spring back out enough so that it won't fall down. It may look a little rough, but it works so I haven't tried making a new one a little nicer. Besides you can barely see it when the stove is running anyways.

I like the diverter. Simple, easy, cheap and durable. Good idea, Fly. I was a little worried that you would damage the stove somehow if you made some radical change, like drilling holes and such. But the thing is so simple it really does not affect the structure of the stove whatsoever.

You should patent the little thing!!!!

Initially, I had grand ideas of drilling holes and somehow making a diverter in the middle of the drop chute. But, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.