Finally found a Tri-Axle load!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biggins08

Sep 20, 2006
Springfield MA
5-6 cords delivered $250, has been cut down a while. :)
Woooo Hoooo!!!!!!!!

NICE

Hard Woods said:
Woooo Hoooo!!!!!!!!

How does one go about getting a load of logs delivered? I have the space for them to dump it at my house. Just don't know who to contact. I'm worried if I ask a tree company I might get a load of crap (punky, softwoods etc).

You need to find a local logging contractor. There should be some in the Yellow Pages. "Timber Harvesting" is a category to check, in addition to "Logging" and "Land Clearing." If not, contact your state dept. of environmental conservation, DNR or whatever its called in your state. They will have a list of logging contractors that you can contact.

Be prepared to pay cash. There's nothing worse (if you're a logger) than having a check bounce after the wood has been unloaded.

A tri-axle with a loader should hold around six full cords. A tri-axle dump will hold more like 7. A tractor-trailer load is in the vicinity of 10 cords (probably somewhat less) depending on local weight laws.

Sounds like you got a great deal.

Hard Woods said:
Woooo Hoooo!!!!!!!!

That's a really good deal.... do you mind me asking who in the Springfield area?

Harley, as soon as I see how this works out I will put you in touch with the guy.

I am going to assume it to be mostly maple and oak. That is pretty much all we have around here.

that's a good deal time to sharpen your chains hey if we ever get together I will bring the most powerfull electric splitter known to man and put it to the task

BTW Grosman's bargin out let was running store wide 15% off meaning the 6 ton iron horse splitter is under $250

I found a guy yesterday that sells a load of logs that come to 7-8 cords for $600. $80 a cord not cheap. I wonder if he might price it half of what split wood costs....

Great thing isn't it. Got my first load of six cords @ 50.00 per cord January 06 all black locust.
Just got another six cords this past November that was mixed black locust,red oak and ash.
To me this is the only way to put a dent in the heating bill. I can't see spending 200.00
@ cord and being ahead on burning wood, i would be better off turning on the heat and
I really don't have time to hunt down wood.

I know availability of free wood is totally dependent on where you live. Where I live, I could have endless (yes endless) free hardwood delivered in any length I want - all year.

The yellow page ads here in Norwalk CT even advertise free firewood delivered. (you have to split it)

I'm currently working on 2.5 cords of black cherry. The hardest part is saying NO, as these guys have to pay a few hundred bucks to dump a truck full of wood at our dump. So they are more than happy to leave it at your house for you.

I agree - I can't imagine going through the work of hauling etc... if it wasn't free.

So check with your local tree guys - if your patient I'd bet you can get some good stuff free!

That's a little on the high end for this part of the country, velvetfoot, but not really all that bad. If it's 8 cords of decent Adirondack hardwood (yellow birch, sugar maple, red oak, beech), then I'd call it a fair deal. If it's got a lot of soft maple and black cherry, on the other hand, then you can probably do better. These days, around here, I'd consider 7 cords for $500 to be a good price.

velvetfoot said:
I found a guy yesterday that sells a load of logs that come to 7-8 cords for $600. $80 a cord not cheap. I wonder if he might price it half of what split wood costs....

I think that's a great deal. You'll have to keep track of how long that will take to process. Make sure you post some pictures for the rest of us to drool over.

Started cutting rounds this weekend. My back sure is sore! Harley, PM me if you are interested in a load. I will get some pics up soon. Just very busy and I have no idea where my GF put my camera!

Having thge wood just sitting there would be nice. But I get my wood for free and don't have to drive toof ar. only part that's hard is that sometimes I have to cut it down....then buck cut , split load move unload splitagain in some cases and stack. What the heck, I'm just too fat anyway.

I found a place yesterday that sells a truck load of firewood logs for $500. I'm now on the 4 MONTH(!) waiting list.

It came early:

Attachments

• wood3.JPG
    wood3.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 1,170
Nice looking load. Nice looking truck.

Good to see the guy wearing a hard hat.

Looks like you're dealing with a pro, velvetfoot.

Congrats on the wood deliveries. I am on 2 waiting lists so far. I am hoping for a delivery in April at least, we'll see.

Velvetfoot You know what I like is the diameters of the logs are very manageable for cutting and splitting

Status
Not open for further replies.