Finally Get A Good Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Courtesy of the city recycle area. Mostly Black Locust and some Silver Maple. I've been waiting all winter for them to come through. Found out they contract all their tree cutting now due to budget cuts and lay offs so the tree service guys aren't dumping as many trees there as the city use to. I could of had two loads but another guy came there shortly after I did so we had to share. I think I got the better end of the deal, he wanted the Maple and I said I'll take that thick bark looking stuff. lol

Attachments

• 100_1458.jpg
    100_1458.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 608
  • 100_1459.jpg
    100_1459.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 586
Very nice catch. Glad you were able to get the best of the wood that was availabe.

Good for you Todd. But the title of this thread was a bit misleading.... :)

Intheswamp said:
Hey Todd. What's the dimensions on your trailer? 3500# axle?

Ed

5x8 with 2' tall sides. Don't know about the axle but I told the guy who built it to make sure it could haul 4000lbs so it's pretty beefy underneath. Probably need better tires tho.

Todd said:
Intheswamp said:

Ed

5x8 with 2' tall sides. Don't know about the axle but I told the guy who built it to make sure it could haul 4000lbs so it's pretty beefy underneath. Probably need better tires tho.
Well that guy didn't do what you told him then cause you only have 1 3500# axle. Subtract the weight of the trailer and your only going to haul about 2500lbs there my friend. And if you have car tires on there then subtract some more.

wkpoor said:
Todd said:
Intheswamp said:

Ed

Well that guy didn't do what you told him then cause you only have 1 3500# axle. Subtract the weight of the trailer and your only going to haul about 2500lbs there my friend. And if you have car tires on there then subtract some more.

Yeah, your prolly right but it only holds a little over 1/2 cord so with a full load of green Oak I'd be somewhere around that 2500lbs.

Nice score, I scored some oak today but not anywhere near what you have. My scrounge pile is definately over a cord, gotta get splitting soon. Checking out some wood from a pellet convert tomorrow, if the price is right its coming home with me.

Todd said:
wkpoor said:
Todd said:
Intheswamp said:

Ed

Yeah, your prolly right but it only holds a little over 1/2 cord so with a full load of green Oak I'd be somewhere around that 2500lbs.
You're looking a 80 cubic feet, .625 cords, if loaded front to back and flush with the top. If we say 4800 pounds for a cord of red oak then you would have right at 3000 pounds on the trailer. I'm not sure how much the trailer weighs but you will have some tongue weight that the tow vehicle will carry and this can be subtracted from the trailer weight, probably a few hundred pounds. You're probably right on the edge. I'd check the tires for sure and see what the carrying capacity is. It should work ok, but I wouldn't load above the bodies.

I like the taller sides on your trailer. My 5x10 has only something like 14" sides...which is probably good or I might get myself in trouble. I'm still working on my wood-hauling setup...a work in progress. ;)

Best wishes, and again....nice pile of wood!
Ed

Sweet.
Lots of BTU's there.

Todd said:
I think I got the better end of the deal, he wanted the Maple and I said I'll take that thick bark looking stuff. lol
You sly devil! :coolgrin:

The "thick bark looking stuff" is my new favorite! I have scored nothing but it this year! Once I get it all home and split in a few weeks, I think I'll end up with about 4 cords of it. That "thick bark" usually falls right off when you split anyway.

Went back this morning and picked up another load of Hackberry, Silver Maple and a little more Locust. The pile is just about cleaned up except for a big 3-4' diameter Maple trunk which is too big for me to handle. Oh, and also a good amount of Poplar but I don't think it's worth the effort.

A few years ago I scored about 6 cords of Black Locust from here. The city cut it out of a local park where it grows like weeds. I don't think most people know what a great firewood it is. Oak seems to be king around these parts.

Todd said:
Went back this morning and picked up another load of Hackberry, Silver Maple and a little more Locust. The pile is just about cleaned up except for a big 3-4' diameter Maple trunk which is too big for me to handle. Oh, and also a good amount of Poplar but I don't think it's worth the effort.

A few years ago I scored about 6 cords of Black Locust from here. The city cut it out of a local park where it grows like weeds. I don't think most people know what a great firewood it is. Oak seems to be king around these parts.

You might want some of that poplar to get the BL going. (Newby alert) I havent burned alot of BL but I keep seeing alot of post saying you want to mix it in with a less dense wood. Im not saying a trailer full, but maybe 2-4 rounds to cut in. Again, I dont really know what Im talking about since I havent burned alot BL but I think I would grab some "crap" just in case.

Todd said:
Courtesy of the city recycle area. Mostly Black Locust and some Silver Maple. I've been waiting all winter for them to come through. Found out they contract all their tree cutting now due to budget cuts and lay offs so the tree service guys aren't dumping as many trees there as the city use to. I could of had two loads but another guy came there shortly after I did so we had to share. I think I got the better end of the deal, he wanted the Maple and I said I'll take that thick bark looking stuff. lol

Todd nice score on the BL.

Zap

Remmy122 said:
Todd said:

You might want some of that poplar to get the BL going. (Newby alert) I havent burned alot of BL but I keep seeing alot of post saying you want to mix it in with a less dense wood. Im not saying a trailer full, but maybe 2-4 rounds to cut in. Again, I dont really know what Im talking about since I havent burned alot BL but I think I would grab some "crap" just in case.

If the Silver Maple wasn't there I would of took your advice and took some Poplar. I think I'll have a good mix to get that Locust going.

Silver Maple and Locust make a nice duo. How well does your tailgate stand up to abuse? I assume you roll the big stuff right up it? Did the plywood on the sides go in later because the mesh got beat up?

SolarAndWood said:
Silver Maple and Locust make a nice duo. How well does your tailgate stand up to abuse? I assume you roll the big stuff right up it? Did the plywood on the sides go in later because the mesh got beat up?

Tailgate is great and holds up fine. It's nice to roll those big rounds up and down, easy on the back. I changed out from plywood to the steel mesh in front because it was holding water and I was also thinking it would make it a little more aerodynamic. So far the mesh holds up fine, might end up replacing the wood all around after it rots out.

Todd said:
might end up replacing the wood all around after it rots out.

I've been there for a couple years now and have been buying time with more screws and scabbing in some pieces where needed. I've been running straps all the way around the top on the big loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.