Finally get the stove installed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
I have been waiting to get a wood burning stove for about 3 years. When I finally decided to get it, the local dealer quoted me for a Hampton H200 gray, hearth, pipe (rear exit, wall thimble, 15 foot stack), and installation for $5,000. I thought this was a little much, so I shopped around. Then, I was lucky to find a 1 year old Hampton H200, brown enamel, that looks brand new for $1200 (great deal). I built a hearth to code for a quarter of the price of the pre-made hearth. I am very happy with how it turned out. So, I called the dealer and asked if he would install the stove. I would still buy the pipe from him, pay installation, and he wouldn't need to deliver the 425 pound stove. He said "no". I couldn't believe they turned down a $2600 job in this economy (pipe and install). I called 6, yes 6, people in December and couldn't get anyone to do it within a reasonable time I(before winter is over) or anyone that was just completely trying to rip me off. One guy tried to get $1200 just to install after I framed out the wall thimble!! So, I purchased the duratech online, framed the wall for the thimble and lucked out and found a guy from work that knew how to install stoves. Installed it today and it looks great!! The first fire and draw couldn't have been better! Every thing is to code and I am extremely happy with it! Best thing that dealer ever did was say he wouldn't install it. Saved me $1200 on install and pipe for same stove he was trying to sell me for double the price. No I just have to build the the rock wall up behind the stove. Will post a pic when the wife gets home with the camera.

I have a couple questions....
What is the highest temp you want stove to reach?
How about the pipe? It is rear exiting. I have DVL (which has stayed very cool) with close clearance adapter to finishing collar and chimney pipe going through the thimble. The chimney pipe is hotter that the DVL.

Congrats on your DIY job - sounds nice.
It is pretty amazing that, even with the economy, you often can't get folks to actually do things. But I forecast that will change soon!

Stoves reach various temps depending on the part you have a thermometer on. On a single wall portion of a stove, it is normal to see 500-750 degree temps during decent burns. As far as the pipe, I could not be too concerned as long as you have the spec clearance. Even double pipe can exceed 400 degrees, which is WAY too hot to touch.

Webmaster said:
Congrats on your DIY job - sounds nice.
It is pretty amazing that, even with the economy, you often can't get folks to actually do things. But I forecast that will change soon!

Stoves reach various temps depending on the part you have a thermometer on. On a single wall portion of a stove, it is normal to see 500-750 degree temps during decent burns. As far as the pipe, I could not be too concerned as long as you have the spec clearance. Even double pipe can exceed 400 degrees, which is WAY too hot to touch.

Same exact thing happened to me. I looked for an installation separate from my dealer because I felt the quote was too high. I called 15 chimney sweeps. Only 4 called back and one guy strung me along with no shows. So I did what I should have done all along...did it myself (me and my father-in-law). Saved $1000 and learned a lot along the way. But I was surprised that so few called me back. I am sure that they are living high on the hog this year...

You will get more call backs if you sound like you are dumb as a stump when you first contact the installers. :coolsmirk: Save your pent up research knowledge for after they make a proposal and then ask pertinent questions about the proposal. The good ones will explain why they can or shouldn't do it that way, the yokels will run like rabbits.

It also shows how much they must make on the mark up on the stove itself. With just basic mechanical skills and a strong back the install is a snap.

Status
Not open for further replies.