Finally getting ahead!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilifter7

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2012
Beavercreek Ohio
Got my piles for next year organized and cleaned up today. This is the first time I've ever been ahead on my wood supply... Thanks to you guys! I was one of the uninformed who would cut and split each seasons wood in the fall of that season. So far I have 4 1/2 - 5 cords there. I'm already excited for next burn season!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Looking good Trilifter! How long will that last you? 1 year out?

I've gone thru 3 cords this year with my smoke dragon but I'm ordering a new stove next week so not real sure how much I will be going thru next year. I'm thinking around 4 cords with the new stove.

I lurked on here for about 2 years before I joined the crowd. The first day after I ran across this site , I started cutting 2 years ahead for the house. Burned wood in the shop for 20 years so I always had wood around. Now I have about 20 cord on hand and I cut a tralier load at least every week. Trailer not very big, 44 inch wide and 6 foot long. Last week cut a soft maple trunk up that filled the trailer plus rounded up. This week I am going after a hard maple trunk.

With your new stove you might burn less, I didn't know what ours was going to use so I made sure I had 5 cord for this year a 5 cord for next and that could be used this year if needed. Now I see that I might burn just right at four cord, a lot of that is soft maple, saving all my oak, ash , hedge to be used only when it is cold here- like 10 and down. Some may be 3-5 years dried, oak- ash- hedge.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I hope to be 2 years ahead by the end of this summer. My goal is to cut 2 truck loads per month and have 10 cords stacked by next burn season.

I plan ahead as if I need 5 cord per season but have burned between 3 and 4 this year so far in a more "normal" winter so any extra just stays in the stacks and makes the back end a little longer. If the season pans out as expected I am guessing I will burn four cord. Last year I only burned about three but it almost never got below 25 degrees last year so it was not a real good bench mark.

Feels good to be ahead -

I hope to be 2 years ahead by the end of this summer. My goal is to cut 2 truck loads per month and have 10 cords stacked by next burn season.
I did the same thing fall of 2011, saw this place and started cutting ahead right away. Have about 4 years worth on hand now, although that may change as I plan to add a stove.

Looking great, Trilifter! Its a great feeling to get ahead, isn't it? When I started out years ago, I was in the same situation. Fast forward to now, and I'm almost 4 yrs ahead....
Getting at least three years ahead is a good goal, if you have the place to store it. That way, you don't have to have different stacks for your oak, maple, etc......all the wood has three years to season and the more seasoning time it has(for most species) the better it burns...

I'm about 2.5 ahead. A bit more.. and I'll be able to do like Scotty says.. No paying attention to what is where. Just paint a year on the pallet.

I'm looking forward to the ground drying out. I need dry ground to re-sort my stacks. I'm going to put all 70 pallets out in the driveway, then redo my pallets in a rows of 3. As it is now.. my oak is on one side of the yard, and everything else on the other. Need to make room for my toy barn.. hope to get to the concrete next year.

JP

Thanks Scotty! Def feels good to start getting ahead.
I plan ahead as if I need 5 cord per season but have burned between 3 and 4 this year so far in a more "normal" winter so any extra just stays in the stacks and makes the back end a little longer. If the season pans out as expected I am guessing I will burn four cord. Last year I only burned about three but it almost never got below 25 degrees last year so it was not a real good bench mark.

Feels good to be ahead -

I'm estimating 5 cords/year as well. Don't think I'll actually burn that much but that way I will have no worries as I get ahead.

Reactions: PapaDave
Nice work Trilifter7. Always nice to look out and see those BTUs in the yard.

Reactions: Trilifter7
Nice work Trilifter7. Always nice to look out and see those BTUs in the yard.

Thanks gasifier! It is very nice to see that wood just waiting for next year. I started cutting to get ahead in November and it just keeps getting more exciting as I see my stacks grow. Keeping to 2 loads per month gives me enough time to do other things while still getting plenty ahead as I stack. The truck fits around 1/2 cord loaded so as long as I stick to adding one cord per month to my stash I'll be well on my way! Thanks again to all of you guys for helping me see the light!

man you guys have alot of wood. I was just looking at my stacks today, and i have about 4 cord to go for next year, split summer '12. Figured if i can get another cord stacked ASAP i'll be set for next year. I was looking at the empty pallets from this year and said "man it will be nice to get that 5 cord replaced ASAP to get a year ahead for '14/'15"

Now you are among the few who have learned the importance of being ahead.
Wiat until you burn it , then you really understand.
Then burn some 2 & 3 yr seasoned wood,
you'll notice a difference with it too ( a good difference )
When the neighbors start to think you're nuts, you almost there LOL :)

It does feel good to look at the "done" stacks, eh? That'll never get old.;)

Nice stacks, & pictures :)

Money in the bank man, money in the bank.
Keep to that schedule and you'll have more wood than Dennis pretty soon.;)
New stove ought to burn less once you learn to use it.
Until you're farther ahead, consider spreading those stacks out for better airflow......if you have the room.
Great work, Tri! :cool:
Yeah, until you are further out, those small rounds may be hit or miss. Some can be pretty dry right off the tree, but if they aren't, drying in the unsplit form can be slow...

Well?? What stove are you getting?? ==c

Now you are among the few who have learned the importance of being ahead.
Wiat until you burn it , then you really understand.
Then burn some 2 & 3 yr seasoned wood,
you'll notice a difference with it too ( a good difference )
When the neighbors start to think you're nuts, you almost there LOL :)

It does feel good to look at the "done" stacks, eh? That'll never get old.;)

Nice stacks, & pictures :)

Thanks BD! 2-3 years ahead is def my goal right now.

Great work, Tri! :cool:
Yeah, until you are further out, those small rounds may be hit or miss. Some can be pretty dry right off the tree, but if they aren't, drying in the unsplit form can be slow...

Well?? What stove are you getting?? ==c

Thanks Woody!
I was actually wondering how those rounds will season compared to the rest of the split wood. I might pull them out later if they don't dry out enough.

I'm actually going today during lunch to put the money down and order a new Quadra Fire Isle Royale. I was able to talk the dealer down $300 plus Quad is offering $300 back right now. Add in the biomass tax credit and I'll be getting almost $900 off the cost of the stove! I can't wait for next season!!

I've gone thru 3 cords this year with my smoke dragon but I'm ordering a new stove next week so not real sure how much I will be going thru next year. I'm thinking around 4 cords with the new stove.

Trilifter, you may be very pleasantly surprised! With our old stove we went through 6 cord per year with 7 1/2 being the worst. New stove cut our wood to 3 cord immediately! Then some insulating, new doors and new windows cut our needs down further. Last year was 2 cord or a bit less. Looks like this year may be a little over 2 cord but definitely not 3.

I hope you do as well with that new stove. You will be a happy man!

Trilifter, you may be very pleasantly surprised! With our old stove we went through 6 cord per year with 7 1/2 being the worst. New stove cut our wood to 3 cord immediately! Then some insulating, new doors and new windows cut our needs down further. Last year was 2 cord or a bit less. Looks like this year may be a little over 2 cord but definitely not 3.

Thanks Dennis! I think you are probably right but just in case I want to be prepared either way. I ordered the new stove today so we will see!

This must be true...my buddies with smaller houses but old pre-EPA stoves told me to plan on 5-6 cords with the size of my house, 3.000 sq ft, but with our new stove it is only 2.5 cords so far this year, that is 24/7 burning since october

Status
Not open for further replies.