Finally getting cold...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buddylee

Feb 16, 2011
middle georgia
Weather forecast is for mid thirties tomorrow night. First 30's this fall. I know thats not cold to a lot of y'all but that fairly chilly here in middle Georgia. Kinda excited to fill the wood rack up tomorrow. Gotta a couple cords of pine and oak ready to go in the OWB.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Its gettin cold here too, been running the stove today with a few splits at a time to keep the chill off.

We got up to 27° today.
Possible snow Tuesday.
Stay warm ;)

Reactions: swagler85
Mid 30's all next week at nightime.

Buddylee, how much do you heat with the OWB? Do you know how much wood you use in a winter? Sounds like you have some good wood there.

We've had a couple night fires to keep the morning chill at bay during Oct.
It was 82 friday high of 63 yesterday, if it weren't for the sun breaking today I don't think it climbed past 57.

32F tommorow morning low, high in the mid 50's(cold by southern standards)

GF got home from work and said no more wood in the stove - house is 82 and kickin it in my T-backs:).
That's 5 splits of oak&hickory since 6am and a couple pallet pieces to re-load from last night.

It isn't cold here yet, but damp and clammy. We have been burning just to get some practice before the storm. I think we have it dialed in.

Backwoods. This is my second year heating with the Hardy. Last year was so warm it's hard to say what I'll burn in a "normal" winter. Last year was 4-5 cords but my oak wasnt fully seasoned. I'm trying to get ahead. I have more than a couple cords but it's not all processed or stacked yet. The wood species I have are pine, oak, hickory, pecan,sweetgum and dogwood. I'm trying to burn the pine and sweetgum first to give the oak, hickory, and pecan more time.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Buddylee wait till you get into that dogwood, the wild dogwood I burn is IMO better than hickory or seasoned oak

II cut dogwood whenever I can. Big and small it goes in the pile with the hickory for the really cold nights.

Backwoods. Where in Michigan u live ? I have family in the Linden area. My brother is a cop in Perry.

Backwoods. Where in Michigan u live ? I have family in the Linden area. My brother is a cop in Perry.

We are perhaps 60 miles from Linden to the NW. Perry is to our south but much closer. Actually M-52 goes through Perry and runs west of Chesaning. We are west of there.

Sounds like you have a good mix of wood for the burner. Should work out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.